Friday, January 3, 2014

Housekeeping in 2014

Well, I never give up! That's for sure! I've got my new housekeeping schedule I am going to attempt. Just as soon as I get to it.

Here's the plan. I read this on some blog somewhere and I regret that I can not credit it to anyone, as I don't remember where precisely I got the idea, but some mom said that she simplified housekeeping by having a ten day plan. She divided up her house into 10 zones and 5 days a week she worked through it. So I came up with my own version. I've also included the daily stuff too. I am putting an asteriks at the tasks I already do regularly.

Daily:
Feed pets*
Unload dishwasher*
Put pots and pans away
Make bed*
load dishwasher during course of day*
Soak or clean any pans used*
Prep dinner*
Feed pets*
After dinner kitchen clean up (this is where I fall apart)
1) clear and wipe table
2) load dishwasher*
3) scrub pots and pans
4) wipe down stove/counters and sweep floor
5) trash out*
6) run dishwasher before bed*

The things I really need to work on is getting those pots and pans scrubbed and neatening up the kitchen each night. I always leave it half done because I've run out of steam or got involved helping someone with homework or reading or watching something with my husband.

Weekly:
Laundry (as needs basis)*
Clean out fridge and pantry
Grocery shopping (currently doing this either Friday or Saturday)*

10 Day room cycle (this starts on a Saturday, two days off are Thursdays and Sundays):
1) All bathrooms (divvy up the jobs among those living here)
2) Family room and front hall (Monday)
3) Living room and dining room (Tuesday)
4) Mud room (a disaster!)(Wednesday)
5) Study (another disaster!)Friday)
6) Upstairs bedrooms (each person cleans their own room) (Saturday)
7) Stairs (both sets) (Monday)
8) basement (Tuesday)
9) Car/porch/garage or anything in yard (Wednesday)
10) Deep clean kitchen (wash floor, clean microwave/toaster oven, etc) (Friday)

Official start date for this new policy is tomorrow! However, we will be also cleaning on this particular Sunday because we are probably going to take down the Christmas tree and put away all the Christmas decorations.

Another thing that I'm doing is participating in Peter Walsh's 31 Days to Get Organized. Every day in January he tells you to do some household task that should take only 10 or 15 minutes. I've been doing it now for 3 days and so far so good! Day 1 was clean out a drawer. I cleaned out two kitchen drawers. Day 2 was get rid of any unwanted sweaters (so I've got five now in a give away bag). Today, Day 3, was clean under your bed. It was nasty but I did it. It took me way longer than 10 minutes though. But I hadn't cleaned under there in a long, long while.

Anyway, right now I'm feeling pretty good about these plans. Lord, grant me the will power to stick to them! At least through January!

1 comment:

  1. Think I might try to join in with the 31 Days to Get Organised. Even if I start late and don't manage evey day, it will still be progress.

    ReplyDelete