Monday, January 6, 2014

Stories from Dante - Book 1 of 2014!

Stories from Dante is a children's retelling of Dante's Divine Comedy by Mary MacGregor. I got it for $1.99 (or some very low price; maybe only .99) on my kindle but you can even read it for free at The Baldwin Project. Mary MacGregor was a Canadian children's author who lived from 1871 to 1961. In this book, which was published in 1906, she writes in a lovely, poetic way using old fashioned language. I have only dipped briefly into Purgatorio and Paradisio so I can't really speak to how good her retelling of these two books are, but I have studied the Inferno (though a while ago so my memory may be a bit rusty) and I thought she did an impressive job of giving a strong sense of the mood and progression of the journey, while leaving out a lot of the detail that would go over a child's head or be too adult.

I plan to use this book to introduce my 7th and 8th graders at our co-op to Dante's masterpiece, so that they have an understanding and frame of reference for when they study this in high school or college.

Two thumbs up!

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

1 comment: