Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Quarter-Acre Farm - Book 6

Because we are in the depths of snowy, bitter cold weather, I felt an urge to read something about gardening.  I so enjoy all those back to nature, homesteading type books even though my life in no way reflects that lifestyle.  I found this book while browsing titles on my Kindle, I think.

The Quarter-Acre Farm; How I Kept the Patio, Lost the Lawn and Fed my Family for a Year by Spring Warren is her highly amusing and engrossing journal of her first year spent trying to feed her family from her 1/4 acre suburban lot.  And it is complete with recipes which sound really good.  I really want to try some of them.

Warren is very down to earth and self-deprecating.  She openly admits all her missteps and dumb mistakes.  Initially, she has to deal with her sons and husband not quite being on board with her experiment to eat 70% of all her food straight from her garden.  While I found her modesty and ability to laugh at herself charming, she really isn't a novice at this sort of thing.  Unlike me who grew up with parents who had two orange thumbs and couldn't keep a houseplant alive, Warren grew up with gardening parents.  And she lives in Northern California where her suburb is surrounded by some of the best farmland in the world.  And a place where people think nothing of having a small fruit orchard in their backyard.  Warren had been caring for fruit trees and a little vegetable garden for years before she decided to go whole hog and change her lawn into a farm.  If this is hard for her to do given the ideal circumstances she lives with, well, it is probably nigh impossible for me to ever dream of!

In spite of the fact that her book made me feel the task of having my own victory garden is well beyond my reach, the book is so well written and so chock full of interesting knowledge, obscure facts, humorous situations and down to earth practical advice, that it is a lovely read.  Just the right thing to read on gray, overcast winter days when the temperature doesn't quite rise out of the teens.  Spring will come!  The farmer's market will open!  We will eat luscious fresh tomatoes once again!

I really enjoyed this book.  For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog through the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge!

    This sounds like a book I need to put on my to-read list. I've always dreamed of having a big garden but, as you say, location is paramount and we don't live in such an ideal climate. Yet reading books like these, allows you to live your dreams vicariously through someone else. Ah, the joys of reading!

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete