Thursday, January 23, 2014

Food Diary - Thursday 1/23/14

Well both Sean's high school and our homeschooling co-op got cancelled today because of winter weather.  I know yesterday I got around just fine in the afternoon and somehow the youth group managed to drive the kids at 7:30 a.m. to GMU and then into town at 11:00.  Yet somehow it is deemed unsafe.  Anyway, they were happy!

Woke at 5:30 and had my usual coffee and banana.  Later another cup and 1 slice of toast with a little butter.

10:00 made breakfast for sleepyheads sleeping in yet again.  This time I fried up some hash browns from Trader Joes (I didn't have any) and made leftover oatmeal pancakes (added an egg and then browned the patties gently in some butter - topped with maple syrup).  They were good and I am sure fattening!  I had three small cakes.  Also had a small dish of 2% plain Greek yogurt with a squeeze or two of honey and a very small handful of trail mix to make a little parfait.  And a pear.

12 ish - made Sean some tuna (yellowfin in olive oil from TJs).  I rinsed the olive oil off (somewhat) and then stirred in some of the Greek yogurt in lieu of mayo.  Had 5 multigrain crackers with a scoop of tuna on each.  I guess I had about 1/3 of the can and Sean ate the rest.

1:30 hungry again.  Guess that lunch was too small.  Had 2 slices of lunch ham (99% fat free!) and another pear.  We have lots of pears and they are all ripe at the same time.

@3:30 I put some cubed beef (I had meant to get a pot roast out of the freezer but I got cubed beef out instead), cut up the rest of the parsnips, some carrots and a can of tomatoes and put it all into in my dutch oven.  I was out of regular onions so I chopped up a couple of big green onions, then I threw in some water, a little bit of cane sugar (I was afraid the parsnips would be bitter) and a couple of bay leafs.  I cooked it at 325 until about 6:30.  It was good except the cubed beef was kind of mushy.  I looked up recipes for cubed beef and they all seem to feature quick cooking like frying, and I can see why, while a pot roast would be falling apart tender and delicious, it was just. . . mushy.  But the gravy and veggies were good.  Cooked up some basmati rice.  That's what we had for dinner.  Of course I forgot that Will and Josh are now back at school and that Hannah had a class and Peter was working.  Rick wound up working late (still not home and it is 10:20 p.m.).  So I had this big meal with only Sean and Becky.  Sean ate some, Becky just picked at hers.  Unfortunately I ate pretty heartily.  I have a ton of leftovers and tomorrow is Friday and I try (though often fail) to not eat meat on Fridays.  Well, I guess it can be lunch for Saturday.

I did not snack at all from my second lunch until dinner so that was good.  I tried to remember to drink lots of water.

I also finally put the chicken carcass from the roast chicken we had earlier this week in the big slow cooker to make broth.  Just covered it with water and put some carrots and celery in there to flavor it a long with a little salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar.  It always makes a delicious broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment