That pretty much sums up what I thought when I finished this book! Ross Douthat the author of Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics is a New York Times Op Ed Columnist, former editor of the Atlantic and author (He's written two other books I think). Bad Religion is a history of the relationship between religion and politics in America. He traces it all the way from our beginnings but mostly focuses on what has led to the current conditions in which we live. While Douthat is known as a conservative, he is pretty darn fair and objective when critiquing both the left and the right. The book is just so intelligent and full of really on target insights and common sense. This is another book I want to reread, there's just so much here.
I got a really bad night's sleep last night, so I just am not up for writing an in depth analysis right now, but suffice it to say I think everyone should read this book! How's that for an endorsement?
If you want to get a flavor of Douthat's take on things, watch this clip of him defending religion to Bill Maher.
No comments:
Post a Comment