Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bab; a Sub Deb - Book 36

I have to thank Jean at Howling Frog Books who mentioned this book several weeks ago in her 52 Books challenge. It sounded so good that I downloaded it on my Kindle right away but only now have got around to reading it in the latter half of this past week. It is a scream! Everything about the book is delightful. I couldn't put it down. Last night I had really bad insomnia (caffeine induced - my own fault) and I read a big chunk of it. I had to muffle my guffaws so I wouldn't wake my husband.

I'll just summarize very briefly, Barbara Archibald aka Bab is 17 years old and always getting into hilarious scrapes through the best of intentions and incredibly bad judgment. She's a sweetie though who can't spell at all but wants to be a playwright, unless she's dreaming of a military career. She is 20 months younger and extremely jealous of her older sister Leila who is 'out' and on the marriage market. But Bab is a sub deb, meaning she's got a year to go before she can play the debutante. The story is set right before and then during World War I, I think in New York and Bab's family are of the wealthy upper class.

I'm not capturing any of the hilarity. I'm rushing because my time is up on the computer!

I highly recommend this book if you want a good laugh. I'm going to be seeking out books by the author, Mary Roberts Rinehart.

For more books got to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Faith,

    Thank you for the recommendation. It sounds a wonderful read. I'm off to see if I can download a copy!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, when did you change the name of the blog? Dumb Ox? I think I lost track of you when I accidentally erased my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Faith,

    Thanks for the book rec. I thought Mary Roberts Rinehart did only historical fiction type books...actually, I can't remember reading anything by her. Hey, are you/your husband related to her?

    ReplyDelete