
I don't know if this should also be included in my 52 Books in 52 Weeks list, but I'm going to talk about it anyway. I read this aloud to my 9 year old for Christmastide (which for us Roman Catholics doesn't officially end until this coming Sunday, I believe, on the feast of the Baptism of Our Lord).
I was reminded of this book by this blog and these particular illustrations. When I was little I clearly remember reading a very old edition of this book. So when I was reminded of it, I reached for my handy dandy Kindle and got myself a Yesterday's Classics reprint of it.
This is a short, sweet novella about the Bird family who live next door to the Church of Our Savior. Mrs. Bird gives birth to a baby girl while listening to the choir singing on
Christmas day. She names the baby Carol. Carol is a delightful child but she is not healthy. Mr. and Mrs. Bird have to come to grips with the thought that their little
girl is not long for this world. On her eleventh Christmas, Carol plans a grand Christmas dinner celebration for the poor neighbor children who live behind her great house.
The tale is very Victorian and sweet. It has a bittersweet ending. All in all, we enjoyed it very much!
No comments:
Post a Comment