Sunday, February 19, 2017
Little Sins Mean A Lot - Book 5
Little Sins Mean A Lot by Elizabeth Scalia (editor of Aleteia.org an on line Catholic magazine I highly recommend) is a meditative journey through all those little faults that derail us every single day: procrastination, phoning life in instead of being mindful, rushing to judgment, gossiping, inflicting our bad moods on others, getting stuck in a vicious cycle of self-recrimination, etc. Each chapter addresses one little sin, talks about its significance, analyzes it in a nuanced and honest way, then concludes with quotes from saints and other wise people, and finally with a suggested prayer.
I would recommend this book as a morning meditation to use during Lent. I read it more as just a book to be read from cover to cover, but I probably didn't do it justice that way. It really needs to be read more systematically and as a deliberate help to prayer.
Scalia (no relation to the other famous Scalia) wrote a wonderful book I read a while ago, called Strange Gods which affected my thinking about God and modern life very deeply. This book didn't have quite as much impact on me, but it definitely prodded me to think more about the sins I grapple with every day and long to overcome. This is a good guide on how to do this, in both a practical and spiritual way.
Two thumbs up for this intelligent, honest, provocative (in a good way!) exploration of every day imperfections!
For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment