Friday, December 10, 2010

Unschooling Moments of the Week - 12/10/10

I didn't take many pictures this week.

Monday - went to visit my aunt who is doing poorly.  Becky came with me.  My aunt loved to paint and Becky got to admire her paintings and then show her own work from her art class.  Sean stayed home and did a little copywork, a little math, a little Latin and read his chapters in Li Lun and St. Peter's Catechism.  Josh did a little work during the day but spent an inordinate amount of time trying to beat some computer game.  After we had studied for our Latin test on Tuesday, oh about 9:30 or so at night, he suddenly realized that he had a Biology test the next day.  So I let him skip Latin so he could study for it.  I knew he knew the Latin but he was panicked about the Biology.  So he spent Monday night and Tuesday morning studying Bio.

Other stuff - Becky played this old little electronic hangman game that I think was a prize in some happy meal ages ago.  Anyway, she played it for hours.  She also suddenly started writing in an old diary as well.  Checked off language arts for her!

Tuesday - I went to Latin, Becky and Sean to art.  Will took Josh to Biology.  He got a 106 on the test (extra credit)!  I wound up bringing back some little girls who played with Becky quite nicely.  Sean had a playdate with his friend Jack which I had completely forgotten about.  Because Sean had a 4H  project near his friend's house, we wound up having a little date.  We ate Mexican food out and then went to 4H.  He enjoyed this project more than the cooking one last time.  It was origami and we had good time learning about it as we are complete novices.

Wednesday - Josh did some math, not sure what else.  Becky, Sean and I went to our homeschool group's monthly meeting.  Only one other family showed up.  I guess it was too close to Christmas and we had another main event going on this week with the group on Friday.  We went to Mass, as it was a holy day, Feast of the Immaculate Conception.  Becky went to VT.  Will went to his music lesson.  Wednesday night Josh went to his CLC.  Will went with him to go to Mass.

Thursday - Got a new dishwasher in the a.m!  Josh finished up Algebra homework and then went to tutor. Went to the library then to Target to buy stuff for our parish's giving tree.  Then kids went to the puppet show practice.  Will went to his piano lesson.

Friday - Will went off to Boston on the train for his audition at Berklee College of Music Saturday morning.   We are all excited and nervous for him! Josh went to his Biology study group.  Becky and Sean did a little penmanship.  Then we were off to noon Mass given just for us homeschoolers.  Then we had a potluck lunch and a wonderful puppet show to tell the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Sean with Father Moretti


Becky was an 'angel" stage helper and she also worked Juan Diego's Uncle's marionette.

Here she is pushing the ship that brought the bishop to Mexico.

Here is Sean working the marionette of the bishop in the story of  Our Lady of Guadalupe.


Here is the whole cast.  The pictures are pretty fuzzy because I forgot my camera.  I wound up using Sean's DSI!

During the week we've continued our reading of The Little Apostle on Crutches, The Story of the Romans, Westmark and David Copperfield.  Sean is reading Coraline.  Josh read a bunch of manga books.  Becky started reading Fantastic Mr. Fox.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! Looks like you guys had a good week. Our homeschool groups have been a little sparse this week, too-- I think you're right that everyone's getting ready for the holidays. I hope yours are fun-filled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a pretty lil angel! I never bought that elf by the way he is ancient. My gramma once owned him then mom now me. If he makes it through my kids he will get passed again. 30 for an elf and a book way too rich for me lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do a great job of strewing! I left out our community college continuing education booklet & Rocket Boy looked at it. I'm hoping he'll see all of the opportunities and different things to learn. Is that strewing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun puppet show! Yeah for hangman! I need to bring out that game again! We don't have a fancy version, but whiteboards work too! Thanks for the idea! I think Latin Hangman would be fun for my son next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a good week, as always! The puppet show looks especially fun and I'm jealous of your dishwasher (our dishwasher, that should have arrived weeks ago, is "lost," according to Best Buy, ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  6. They lost a dishwasher? How can you lose something that big! Oh my! Best Buy should be very ashamed. I'd be so angry! Hope you get it soon!

    ReplyDelete