Sunday, March 19, 2017

One, Two Buckle My Shoe - Book 9




One, Two Buckle My Shoe is an Hercule Poirot mystery by Agatha Christie.  I was looking for an audiobook to listen to at the library and settled on this.  The last Christie I heard on audio didn't impress me much (Elephants Can Remember) but this one was highly enjoyable.  Christie's writing and development of the mystery is impeccable.  Hugh Fraser, a British actor, reads the book to perfection!  He doesn't get one syllable or microsecond of intonation wrong!  This was a very enjoyable listen.  He did all different kinds of accents; Poirot's, different English ones from stuffy to cockney and a couple of American ones too!  I listened to this in the car doing my weekly errands and I would find myself at a destination with no idea of how I drove there, because I was so engrossed in the story!

This book fills in the mystery square in my 2017 Bingo Book Challenge.

Two thumbs up!  God bless Agatha Christie (and Hugh Fraser!).

For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intriguing and well-read book to listen to. Will need to add it to my list of "Want to Read Books."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith,

    I have a renewed interest in Agatha Christie after reading that she worked in a chemist's shop during the world wars. She used her knowledge of chemistry when writing her murder mysteries. There's a book called A is for Arsenic 'in which Kathryn Harkup investigates the poisons used by the murderer in fourteen classic Agatha Christie mysteries. It looks at why certain chemicals kill, how they interact with the body, the cases that may have inspired Christie, and the feasibility of obtaining, administering and detecting these poisons, both at the time the novel was written and today.' You can found the book on Amazon if you're interested. I'm tempted to buy a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! How are you? I hope all is well. I've drifting away from a lot of homeschooling stuff since my youngest two are so independent about learning. I actually just started a read aloud with them today called Faith, Science and Reason. Anyway, seeing your post made me all nostalgic all at once. Thanks for the info on that book. That sounds fascinating!

      Delete