I am trying to untie the thorny knot that is recycling. I think we should first and foremost avoid plastic whenever possible (even if that means changing hard to change habits. And I really hate changing habits! I am not very good at it!) but plastic has become so pervasive it really is nigh impossible to avoid it.
So recycling has to be part of all this. They've started up recycling programs all over the place a couple of decades ago, but I keep reading in various places that only about 20% to 30% actually gets recycled! And again plastic in particular is downcycled NOT recycled. So the whole thing is misnamed. I mean I've read they can truly recycle aluminum, tin, glass and cardboard, but plastic, nope. And then there's the fact that it never biodegrades. . . .
But I do think people are trying hard to improve recycling. So check out this website and see if it helps you. Every time I get on and try to focus though something distracts me. I seem to be spinning my wheels not getting traction on how all this really works. However, I think the next baby step for me is to start recycling what seems to be called 'film' plastic. I have returned plastic grocery bags to stores, but I didn't realize you can also recycle things like bubble wrap, zip lock bags, cereal box liners and more. What gets accepted though, seems to vary from location to location. So I've got to check that out first. I also need to set up a place in my kitchen to put just the plastic film items and then remember to actually take them with me when I go to whatever store that accepts them. Here's the direct link for figuring out where to recycle these things. To my dismay, I've noted that on this page they say you can't recycle pre-washed salad bags or frozen food plastic bags. Bummer. These used to be standard things I'd buy.
One thing that is distracting me from my plastic avoidance journey is the fact that I have a Latin final coming up in a couple weeks. I feel I have to hunker down and really prepare for that right now. Once that is over and done with, I will be freed up to devote more time to all this environmental stuff!
And now I am about to drive down to Williamsburg to meet homeschooling friends I've know online for 20 years but have never met in real life! One is from Australia but she just happens to be here on business! I am excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment