Saturday, March 11, 2017

Slaying the Plastic Dragon - Some Recipes - Day 10

Doing without.

These really are just recipes I've used before, but I am rediscovering how well they work for going plastic free.  I am not a sophisticated chef, so you may find these way below your level!  Since I am only buying produce from the CSA (which is infrequent in winter) or the plastic free produce at the grocery store, I have to think in terms of what's available.  For instance in two recipes, I've had to do without carrots because I could only find them already in plastic, except for some very expensive carrots that were skinny and mostly carrot tops and pricey because they were organic.  I didn't bother.  Carrots are a mainstay for us, especially those baby carrots in bags.  We miss those.  I did have some bagged carrots already in the fridge but I used them up right away.   I can't wait to get more from my CSA this Sunday.  However, it turned out that doing without carrots is ok in some recipes.

Vegetarian Chili
This is always a winner.  I wish I could remember where I got this recipe, but it is really more like a formula than a recipe.

 Saute chopped onion in olive oil in a big pot, throw in whatever other chopped vegetables you have, add garlic, 2 cans of tomatoes (I like the fire roasted with green chilies) and 2 cans of black beans (each can is about 14 or 15 oz, I think).  The important thing is to add 1 tablespoon of cumin seed.  To me this makes all the difference!  I also add in 1/2 tablespoon chili powder (I don't like things too spicy- put in more if you do) and add in salt and pepper to taste.  Let it burble on the stove for a while (an hour?).  Stir frequently so it doesn't burn on the bottom.

The veggies I had hanging out in my pantry and fridge for my most recent rendition of this were:  1 sweet potato from my CSA - this is a weird variety of sweet potato that is white inside but tastes like sweet potato!  2 rather small baking potatoes that were beginning to sprout, 1/2 of a big red pepper beginning to wrinkle, 2 turnips from the CSA, 3 stalks of celery (still working through a big bag of celery from TJ's in plastic).

I usually put in some frozen corn at the very end, but frozen corn is in plastic.  So I served this chili feeling apologetic because of the mishmash of veggies and . . .  it was scrumptious!  We had this for dinner for two nights served over rice the first night.

We also grated up some of that expensive wheel of cheddar cheese to serve on top - a delicious addition!

One day, I'll cook my own beans and have frozen tomatoes from the summer in my freezer and I'll be even more plastic free - zero waste!

When I searched images for celery, I could not find one that was wrapped in plastic, yet I am finding it is really hard to find unwrapped celery.  When you see it naked like this, my advice is snap it up!


Roasted Veggies
Chop up any veggies you have hanging around that still seem edible.  (Lately we've had acorn squash, sweet potatoes, turnips (from CSA), mushrooms, bell peppers and onions.)  Toss them in olive oil and garlic salt in your biggest roasting pan.  Make sure every bit is coated with oil.  I use my hands to mix, so vital is it to make sure everything is thoroughly coated!  I think the veggies roast better if you spread them out a bit.  Stick them in the oven (I've done this at all different temperatures!  Let's say 350 just to give a temp.) until they look done to your liking (30 minutes?  45?  Maybe a tad longer.  Depends on what you've got and how small you cut up the veggie bits)  Eat these with your main dish (sausages I bought plastic free at the meat counter, along with applesauce).  Save leftovers to make frittatas.

Frittata
Take any leftovers out of your fridge (potatoes, rice, noodles, roasted veggies)  Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and put your leftovers in to saute.  You can chop and season them up however you like, maybe with some garlic and oregano.  Mix some eggs like you are making an omelet, pour over the pan and cook like an omelet but don't flip it.  Instead just keep tilting the pan so that the uncooked egg runs to the side and under the already cooked egg (lift up the edge of the egg 'pancake').  Make sure the pan is well oiled so the bottom of the egg doesn't stick too much.  Keep it moving in the pan. When most of the egg is cooked, turn off the fire and put a lid on it to hold in the heat for a couple of minutes.  This should finish cooking the egg on top.  Sprinkle cheese over it.  Cut and serve like a pie.  (A lot of recipes say to bake the frittata but I find there is no need for that. This can be nice to make in the summer when you don't want to put the oven on.  Then you can use leftover veggie kebabs or zucchini, tomatoes, etc)

I stole this pic from The Pioneer Woman.  I served mine with cucumber and bell pepper slices and slices of bread.


Bread Pudding
I found myself with a lot of bits and pieces of the various breads I've been buying.  I didn't want to waste any so I made bread pudding.  I got the recipe from Allrecipes.  I had bits of french bread, a challah roll, a wedge of Irish soda Bread.  I cut it all up, poured eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and a bit of butter over it all and baked for 45 minutes at 350.  It was a nice supper dish (though I think it is more of a breakfast casserole).



Pot roast
I was able to order a pot roast over the counter sans plastic.  I roasted it up with celery and onions.  I did not have any carrots, which I usually include, but you know what?  It was still delicious!  I made baked potatoes (not bagged!) and fruit salad (apples, bananas, jarred peaches, raisins (I was still working through an old box) and a can of Mandarin oranges.  It was a nice hearty meal, with practically no plastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment