Friday, March 10, 2017

Slaying the Plastic Dragon - Personal Hygiene - Day 9

I am in the process of figuring out how to avoid plastic when it comes to personal hygiene.  This is tough!  Everything is in plastic bottles.  Apparently, the key seems to be making a lot of these things for yourself.  I am planning to use the summer, when my schedule isn't so tight, to experiment with that kind of thing.  I haven't been including costs in my blog posts, and some people have complained that I should as they are on a tight budget and budget constraints can really effect one's ability to avoid plastic.  From now on I will try to be more aware of costs).  Right now, I am looking at various products that might fit the bill.

The Heavenly Harvest Co. that sells this seems really neat!  


Toothpaste - I am still working my way through a Tom's plastic tube of toothpaste.   While doing some research on this, I discovered that some folks are going back to old fashioned tooth powder instead, which used to be packaged in tins.  I ordered some called Country Gent's Tooth Powder.   It came in a little tin (with a plastic seal around it - can't seem to get away from that!).  I've been alternating it with my Tom's toothpaste.  I pick up a pinch of Country Gent (open the tin carefully so the powder doesn't spill everywhere!) and put it on my wet toothbrush.  I still have powder on my fingers so I rub them on my teeth to use it up!  Then I brush.  It doesn't foam like regular toothpaste and I admit I miss the foaming!  It also doesn't leave the breath nice and minty.  But it does clean the teeth, which feel smooth and look shiny and brighter.  I think I need to find a mouthwash (probably something I'll make myself) to finish things off so I can have nice minty breath. ($3.55, but I am sure I paid more than that for shipping.  It came without plastic packaging. Woot!)

Speaking of dental care - I usually buy the Preserve brand of toothbrushes, sold at Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter.  These are made from recycled yogurt cups.  However, I plan to buy some toothbrushes made from bamboo and give some to everyone in their Easter baskets (right next to their annual  chocolate bunny!)  You can get these toothbrushes here.



Shampoo - We are approaching the bottom of the plastic bottle for my favorite shampoo, Trader Joe's Tea Tea Tingle Shampoo.  In one of my foray's into my area's organic stores, I found a bar of J.R. Liggett's Shampoo bar shampoo.  I haven't tried it yet.  It is patiently waiting for me on the counter by my sink!  Stay tuned! ($7.49 plus shipping. I bought it at an expensive organics store.  I don't remember what I paid, but at least I didn't have to also pay for shipping.)



Razor - A while ago someone gave my middle son a box of shaving items (he had just reached the point where he needed to shave regularly) from The Art of Manliness.  This was great except he preferred my husband's electric razor and eventually got one of his own.  So one day I stole his old fashioned steel razor.  I had kind of abandoned it recently because I couldn't find  new blades, but with my reignited interest in avoiding plastic, I nixed buying disposables and bought new blades.  It works really well, as long as you soap up before you shave. (This kind of razor, which lasts years, is much cheaper in the long run than buying disposables).

Switching from manliness to womanliness . . .


Menstrual pads - I'm too old to worry about this anymore, but I've got others in the household that are dealing with this.  I found a brand at Harris Teeter that is made from cotton and is packaged in paper instead of plastic.  My guinea pigs here are willing to test the product and report back to me on its quality.  (If you buy this from Thrive which seems to be a great on line place that might help you avoid plastic for some items, if you glean carefully, this costs only $3.65 at their discounted price.  But again you have to pay for shipping.)

I am not currently attempting to replace my deodorant.  I did try a couple years ago to use baking soda and coconut oil.  However, the baking soda made me break out in an ugly rash.  I still have my Secret solid to use up anyway.  I have to cross each bridge as I come to it!

4 comments:

  1. Pig bristles on the toothbrushes! My vegetarians would have a fit.

    A lot of things are sold at Amazon, also, with free shipping if you have Prime. Although I think Thrive still had the best deal on the pads...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know vegetarians wouldn't like it. I guess I should consider that in my gift giving since I have vegetarian sons. But I'm ok with it myself. I have a boar's hair wooden brush right now. They make the best brushes. The trouble with Amazon is they'll pack one thing in a too big box and fill it with plastic bubble wrap or other plastic packaging stuff. Kind of ruins the whole purpose. If you order directly from little companies you can request non plastic packaging. Or they already do it because they are environmentally conscious and that's one thing they can do.

      Delete
  2. Another options for soaps and shampoos: we used to buy our shampoo and liquid soap from the bulk section of our co-op. We brought our own containers and filled them from a dispenser.

    ...and a quick plug for cloth menstrual pads! There are so many more options now than 20+ years ago. (Including lots of offerings on Etsy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need Lush! Lush is a UK cosmetics store that sells natural products with minimal packaging. Lush bath bombs are a bit of an obsession with the female members of this household :). I have used their shampoo bars before and love them. I just took a look at their website and they also do natural deodorants. I wonder if their products are available in the US? This is their packaging policy: https://uk.lush.com/article/our-environmental-policy.

    ReplyDelete