Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Slaying the Plastic Dragon - Day 19 - Thank you, Kavindra!



I got your package last night.  I have not tried the infuser yet.  I got up this morning and automatically made coffee and then realized I should have made tea instead!

I will make tea this afternoon and report back on my plastic free tea drinking experience, brought to me by a generous-hearted friend!  But before this busy day got started, I just wanted to thank you!

Here's an article from 2013 on why we might want to be cautious about drinking tea from plastic tea bags.  For me though it doesn't even have to be about health, but about the wanton waste and pollution that goes into making something plastic even though we humans have been drinking tea for millennia without ever using plastic.  Why start now?  It's insane!

******************

2:23 p.m. Update on plastic free tea!  I just now had a nice cup of English Breakfast tea sans any plastic.  The ball of the infuser is quite large, so I used a mug.  I just tried to put the same amount of tea that I'd find in a regular tea bag into the infuser, clipped it shut and then poured boiling hot water over it all.  There were some fine tea leaf crumbs floating around at first but they settled after a minute and I had a very enjoyable cup of tea (I drink mine black).  There were a few tea leaves at the bottom of the mug, but not much at all.  So thanks again, Kavindra.  I love it!

And now I can just dump out the tea leaves into my compost bin, without having to cut open the stupid tea bags which may or may not have plastic in them.   Hooray!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I did wonder about the size of the thing - they have some that are smaller, but they were packaged in plastic. You need to be able to put it in a charming little tea cup for the full experience, right? But on the plus side, maybe you can learn to read tea leaves, lol. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I use a mug most of the time. The tea cups are for when the teapot is used! And I was just saying, I could learn to read tea leaves, except there really weren't enough to read much.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know, Kathryn! WHY? There is no reason except the false pressure to always be 'innovating' with the latest technology or something at any cost.

      Delete