![]() |
| Apparently, hemp seeds are very good for you. |
I'm kind of out of steam right now on talking about avoiding plastic. I went to Wegman's yesterday to do an exploratory run. Wegman's is not on my usual route, but it turns out there is one I wasn't aware of just about a 10 minute drive from the math tutor's. Well, I will never be one of the cool kids. Wegman's to me is too huge, too overwhelming and when you go in with the idea of avoiding plastic, it is no better than Harris Teeter. Well, it's actually worse because it is bigger and has simply miles and miles of plastic. It does have a selection of organic bulk stuff, but none of it was what I really wanted. I am not groovy enough. I mean they had a big bin of hemp seed. No one else was at the bulk bins when I was there (in the middle of a Friday afternoon - even though the place was hopping) and I looked around at all the eye-grabbing trendy, plastic encased, convenience food that abounded everywhere and standing by my lonely self in the bulk bin aisle, thought: how often does someone come in and buy organic hempseed here? But I supposed I should appreciate the fact that they do carry such stuff! That is good. A step in the right direction. I was just too assaulted by the hugeness of the place to properly appreciate things.
But the most ironic thing is that my little plastic card failed me! I went through all the aisles of Wegman's carefully trying to find a couple of items that were plastic free and when I got up to the cashier my credit card was rejected. I had forgotten that we were in the process of switching accounts because someone hacked into our old one and keep trying to steal money from us.. A month ago I got a new credit card which I never activated. I blithely kept using the same old one I'd been using for 5 years and then yesterday I got a rude awakening. Now I have to figure out how to activate my new piece of plastic.
![]() |
| The plastic that moves the economy |
Even though I am on Day 15, I still have trouble remembering to bring my bags with me, so I have on occasion gotten paper bags at the store, instead. This is actually helpful because sometimes I need paper bags for use at home. Also, I just found out this interesting tidbit.
| Sometimes you need paper bags! |
All the above is an aside. The thing I wanted to post about is Jiffy! Ten posts back I noted that the Jiffy company makes its little boxes of corn muffin mix exactly the same way as it has always done. Well, just yesterday I stumbled on this report by NPR about how that is true! Jiffy hasn't changed since 1930 when it opened! What a neat little company. I feel very good about buying this product now. At least once a week we have muffins with soup or muffins for breakfast. I am not one to get attached to brand names, but I am pleased with this one!


No comments:
Post a Comment