Sunday, March 26, 2017

Laurus - Book 10




I didn't want this book to end, it was so beautiful.  Laurus is the debut novel by Russian medievalist Eugene Volodazkin.

The story is about a boy named Arseny who lives with his grandfather Christofer, an herbal healer.  After Christofer dies, something terrible happens and Arseny then spends his life trying to redeem himself.  His life becomes a long complicated journey, full of twists and encounters.  We see him wandering as a healer, trying to help others when the plague hits (the plague is an ever looming presence).  He gets attacked by a robber, whacked on the head, and spends many years as a wandering, half-crazed hobo.  He wanders into the small medieval city of Pskov where he is recognized as a holy fool.   Eventually, he and another man, a mystic who befriends him, are commissioned to go on pilgrimage together to Jerusalem.  Again, terrible tragedy occurs.  Upon his return to Russia, Arseny becomes a monk and then finally a hermit.

The Medieval town of Pskov


The wonderful thing about this book is that so much that goes on in its pages theologically corresponds with what I little bit I know of Aquinas and what I am currently learning through reading Augustine's City of God!  The thoughts and prayers of Arseny ring out in such a recognizable and human way.  They are profoundly moving, like listening to glorious choral music.  The ideas of time, sin, redemption, mercy, forgiveness, holiness and the mystical mystery of being human and facing inevitable death, are themes beautifully explored.  But there is much that harsh, ugly and bizarre as well.  Life is like that.

This novel is a profound perfect prayer.   Laurus is a masterpiece.  I have a feeling the book is worthy of many rereads.  I think there is a lot here to uncover.

For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment