This college student lays out her clever and resourceful ways she avoids plastic while living in a dorm. I had never heard about how to avoid the binding on textbooks before!
You can actually find these cute recycled paper notebooks at Target! If you want the motherlode of these recycled school supplies (which seem to be plastic free, though I am having a hard time finding that stated explicitly) go to Bookbinders.
I had never given a thought to all the plastic pens I buy and then throw out when they stop working. Life Without Plastic has some plastic free alternatives. Writing with a fountain pen seems hard but classy! I wonder if we didn't think of pens as disposable, we wouldn't be so careless with losing them all the time? Maybe we'd take how we write more seriously? This reminded me of a Tex talk I saw.
What if life without plastic leads us to slowing down, being more creative, appreciating beauty more? It is a way of withdrawing from the rat race a little bit!
(Below is completely, off the topic of being plastic free, but I felt like noting these anyway!)
Speaking of students, I just thought I'd brag about my own two here at home. Sean loves his English class this semester at the community college. It is hybrid class so he has to submit homework online each Tuesday night. He had to write a reader response to a review of a biography of Dostoevsky. The guy writing the review is one of those avant-garde writers who is hard to penetrate at times. Anyway, the teacher wrote back to the whole class to read S's review because it was a model of how to approach the subject matter. S was so pleased. The thing about S is, even with his struggles, he is one smart, talented guy! I always thought he'd be great at reviewing music, movie, books. He's got such a way with words and he is so insightful.
S got invited by his brother to come up to Boston to play flute in a live performance of W's opera Mogo. S is all excited! Now he's got to learn a very complicated piece quickly. He's on the job! S also got to see his favorite jazz flutist at the Kennedy Center recently, which was very cool.
B is going to go to New York with her friend who goes to a local high school. We wouldn't have said yes, except the friends' parents are going to be chaperoning as well. This was B's Christmas present. This is happening in a couple weeks. She's getting excited. B also helped with a fundraiser this past weekend, to raise money to support a theater camp started by kids she works with at the local community theater. It is a summer camp for low income kids. The two girls who started this were 15 and 16 at the time. Now they are 18 and 19 and about to go off to college.
I love how much music is a part of the lives of my two youngest kids.
Here's a tiny desk concert featuring Elena Pinderhughes (I can see why S likes her so much).
No comments:
Post a Comment