Sunday, July 15, 2018
In The School Of The Holy Spirit
In the School of the Holy Spirit is by a new to me theologian, Jacques Philippe. This book was suggested by Father Paul who ran a spiritual classics book club at my parish. I joined initially and then got too busy to continue. But I always meant to go back when I could Well, I thought I could start it up again but, alas, Father Paul got transferred to another parish (to be pastor!) so the book club is defunct for now.
Still I am so glad I got this book. It is beautiful, wise and simple. Father Philippe is my new favorite spiritual guide and I am certainly going to read more of his books. Father Philippe is a French priest, who I think is in his early 70s. His books have become popular and have been translated into English. This particular book, In the School of the Holy Spirit was translated by Helena Scott in 2017. The book was originally published in 2002. For a view of his books go here.
This book is less than 100 pages but packed full of simple, practical wisdom. Basically, he answers the questions: how does one listen to the prompts of the Holy Spirit? How does one know whether it really is the Holy Spirit or not? How can one become better at listening so as to become holy? Father Jacques synthesizes the teachings of a well known Jesuit (who taught Sts. Issac Jogues and St. John Brebeuf), Fr. Louis Lallemont, and the teachings of St. Francis de Sales, as well as pulling wisdom from scripture itself.
This book made an excellent early morning meditation with which to start my day. I'm trying to get in the habit of reading something spiritual every morning while I sip coffee and then praying lauds (and sometimes the office of reading) each morning. I've become very hit or miss about this. But I keep trying to be consistent. I'm terrible at being consistent!
I highly, highly recommend this book. For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment