| CSA Haul: beets, lettuce, yellow squash and zucchini, a dozen fresh eggs, cucumbers, blueberries, parsley, bok choy and new potatoes. |
In an effort to cheer myself up and get myself eating better again, I'm going to focus this week on food.
While B was gone to work camp all week, I totally dropped the anti-inflammatory diet I had gone on in solidarity with her. I ate gluten, dairy and junk food with abandon. I also got two migraines a
nd felt like crap all the week. Towards the end of the week, I'd lie in bed and ache all over. Every joint was aching. It dawned on me that maybe the diet does work. It's not a cure all, but I think it really does help.
So I am back to clean eating.
Sunday - I had coffee and a banana before church. I really need to cut down on coffee.
Brunch was a big omelet made from local pastured eggs, goat and sheep cheese (I grated this up because this cheese doesn't melt as quickly as cow's or just plain goat cheese does), a few leaves of fresh basil chopped and a chopped tomato. Along with this we had locally produced pork sausage and some leftover grilled veggies (green, yellow and purple peppers, sweet potato, red onion and broccoli) from the Whole Foods hot bar (leftover from Friday).
Dinner - R grilled hamburgers (grass fed with slices of goat cheese melted on top. So delicious!) and hot dogs, I had my burger on a gf bun. I sliced up two cucumbers from the CSA haul and made a vinaigrette to pour over them. The best thing though was the fruit cobbler I made. I had a box of blueberries and a box of blackberries and two peaches from the CSA. I used Jules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour which is the best flour I've found. Everything I make with it seems to turn out really well. I actually made crepes earlier in the week for the first time in my life. And they were so easy! And delicious.
And instead of letting the beets from the CSA go soft in the fridge all week before I remembered to do something with them, I boiled them right away. I plan to just slice them up and add them to salads as the week goes by.
Dinners for the week:
Monday - pork shoulder slow cooker roast
Tuesday - salmon patties (gotta get our salmon in and everybody likes these)
Wednesday - chicken (also need to cook up chicken for shelter)
Thursday - creative leftovers! (I'm thinking of using leftover chicken to make savory crepes).
Friday - veggie chili
I also plan to make Haymaker's Punch today to get a little probiotic fermentation into my system.
Fun fact - goat cheese is very similar, protein-wise, to cow cheese. Sheep cheese, however, is completely different. So some people who need to avoid (cow) dairy also do not do well with goat cheese. I know my oldest reacted to it when he was younger.
ReplyDeleteSheep cheese is kind of disgusting. LOL. We've been eating the goat cheese so far, no one has warned us away yet.
ReplyDelete