Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Diary 7/10/18

Thursday my youngest turns 17!!!  I'm still not sure what we are doing about it. I mean I bought some gifts a while ago.  But how to spend the day and what to do for meals and cake?  Must sort that out asap!

Can't remember when I woke up; possibly just before 6.
Fed cats
Read more about Holy Spirit. Finished the body of the book but it has a big appendix with many quotes, so I think I'll continue to read through that.
Didn't pray lauds again.
Sat out on back porch.  Still having lovely summer weather.  I think this is the 4th day in a row.
Did some facebook stuff
Blogged
Said bye to J
Made R some eggs
Cleaned kitchen somewhat - watched Latin 101 lecture
Got B up and made her tea
Took B to ortho appt - we were hoping it was the last one, but they said she still needs a bit longer before everything is completely straight.

Afterwards we decided to eat at Silver Diner - went home and picked up S.  Poor S got laid off from work.  They had over-hired for the summer it turns out.  And then he went and had a little accident with the trailer on the golf cart and a client's pick up truck.  Oops.  He is very bummed.  Very.  He has no self-confidence, he is bored and lonely.  I feel for him but I don't know what I can do.

Had pleasant meal at SD.  S has decided he wants to learn more about economics.

Came home - cleaned junk out of car (B helped) so I could take it to Jiffy Lube.
Nagged B to do her math and history.  Nagged S to make some drs appts.

Went and got oil, new air filter, steering wheel fluid, etc done
Had to hang out in waiting room a long time - they were busy.

Stopped at the Maple Ave Market CSA which I never got to last week, and picked up some blueberries, a big heirloom tomato, some new potatoes, an onion, some local white peaches and some eggs.

Came home two hours later and neither teen had done what I'd asked them to do.  Grrr.

To rest, I don't like laying down anymore in the afternoon which is a tragedy.  But it seems to leave me so woozy when I get up.  So I've been nodding off in R's comfy office chair while watching either Latin 101 or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy lecture series from the Great Courses.  Since I did Latin 101 this a.m. I went went with CBT - somatic breathing technique for lowering stress rate.

Was idle too long and didn't come downstairs until after 5.  Realized B needed to get to youth group.
Fed cats

Started on using up leftover chicken to make chicken crepes.  However, I was afraid I didn't have enough leftovers so I quickly had to try to cook up some chicken breasts that were still frozen.  This delayed things.  Then I realized I didn't have any chicken broth to cook the leftover chicken in.  The kitchen was only half clean so I couldn't find anything and I was operating in a rush, not quite knowing what I was doing.  I successfully made crepes the week B was at workcamp but I cheated and used diary.  This time I used the same gf flour mix, 3 large eggs, coconut milk and ghee.  But the crepes came out as mini thin omelets.  And the chicken was kind of dry and not flavorful enough.  Fail.  V came up and helped me a lot; washing up the silverware,etc and slicing up some cantaloupe and cucumbers to have with the so called chicken crepes.

B and I ate hurriedly and then picked up a friend on the way and got them to youth group.

Came home and suddenly R and J were home and someone had gotten 5 Guys for their dinner.  They were not going to touch the weird chicken crepes.

R wanted to print out V's certificates.  She's finally gotten validation for her degree from Cote D'Ivoire.  She's got the equivalent of a BS in computer science.  Hooray!  But we were out of printer paper still.  So I ran to the store and got paper and kitty litter, since I kept forgetting to pick that up as well.

Home again, everyone was enjoying the Virtual Reality thing in the study.  R gave it to J for Christmas but since the study was so full of junk, they haven't been able to use it til now!  They are using google Earth and traveling everywhere from the Grand Canyon to Tokyo.  It's very cool but there's something really weird about it too.  V squeals the whole time.  LOL.

V took D to the eye dr this a.m. because we've been worried about his eyes.  One eye tends to turn in and he often rubs his eyes and says 'my eyes, my eyes!'  As if they are really irritated.  Well, he failed the little eye exam.  Apparently the doctor said it isn't his eye that turns in but the other eye!  So V has to get drops to put in his eyes and then go back in a week.  He might need glasses.  His vision is 20/20; it's just his eyes don't work together.  Must be this house!  All my kids had that same problem to one degree or another!!!

Proud moment:  our drain upstairs in our master bathroom sink was completely clogged.  I told R I thought his beard hair was the culprit - this offended him greatly.  He says he never lets his beard hair get in the sink.  This was so bizarre to me because of course I have cleaned up his beard shavings out of the sink for decades now. But it was one of those things where you realize that you aren't even on the same plane of reality when discussing an issue.  You know, when you realize the other person is so delusional you just say, uh huh.  And then deal with it yourself?  LOL.  Anyway, I used the baking soda and vinegar trick and it cleared the drain!  It still is somewhat clogged though.  But at least we didn't need the dreaded Drano.   However, the one thing I really am unhappy about with our new renovated bathrooms is the cheap hardware or whatever you call it that came with the bathtubs/sinks, etc. The drains are cheap and easy to clog and hard to fix.  The flusher lever on the toilets comes loose and will arbitrarily clatter to the tile floor below, usually in the middle of night when it makes the most noise and then toilet paper holders do the same thing.  They work loose and then fall.  It's annoying.  I blame cheap labor and parts in China for all this.  Somebody's making a fortune producing this cheapo stuff and charging a fortune.  We paid a lot at Ferguson's for this supposedly 'top of the line' stuff.  Grrr.

Hung out too long on the internet.  B came home.  Still moody.  I remembered that she gets like this for her birthday.  She's always gotten emotional about it, even back when she was very little.  I gave her one present yesterday.  I got her a tea subscription.  Each month she'll get a different kind of tea in the mail.  She seemed ok with it.  But I think she's a little depressed so everything's hitting her funny.  So since she seemed moody, I gave her another present.  The last Penderwicks book that just came out.  When she was younger she loved the Penderwicks.  She had the first book on audio and listened to it over and over again.  So I think she maybe liked the book.  But also I think it made her nostalgic and that made her sad.  When someone's depressed, no matter what, they get sad.

Went to bed and read some.  Darn.  Meant to take B's phone from her at night but she wanted to call Will.  I told her to bring it in to our room when she was done but she never did.

Just realized I never showered!


No comments:

Post a Comment