Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Journaling the Day - 8/15/17

Happy Feast of the Assumption!  It's been a day.  We actually went to the vigil mass last night because today was going to be kind of hectic.

2:45 a.m. my dog scratches at the door.  Every once in while she does this.  Seems to be happening more frequently lately though.  I get up and hobble to the door.  My plantar fasciitis is flaring and my feet, especially my left one is killing me.

I limp downstairs, let her out, go to the freezer and pull out an old bag of frozen broccoli.  I let the dog back in, hobble upstairs, grab a pillow case and put the bag in and then climb back into bed with my heel rested on the the pillow case covered bag of broccoli.  It feels better but the cold makes it hard to go to sleep.  Doze fitfully until 5:30 when alarm goes off.  I get up, go downstairs and feed the pets, make coffee, kill a few flies (we are having the grossest problem with flies these last two weeks), and then instead of praying or cleaning as I had intended, I sit with my coffee cup in the dark, on my phone checking facebook and email.

6:44 - oh no!  I've got to get dressed.  I go pull on the same clothes I wore yesterday.  Check in with Rick about listening for little D if he cries while his mama is away.

7:00 - I'm taking V to her Virtus Training.  She got a job as an extended daycare giver for before and after school at our parish.  We drive to the cathedral and can't find the hall where she is supposed to be.  Diocesan info site warned all the new teachers that if they are late (like 8:01 a.m. instead of 8:00 a.m.) they will be refused entrance.  What???  And yet the complex is big and we can't find the hall.  We ask a groundskeeper, as it begins to rain, where the hall is.  He tells us.   I grumble about how they really ought to have put directions in the posting on the website.

I leave V there and drive home in the rain.  It's now close to 8:30 a.m.  J must have left for work while I was gone.  Rick is still upstairs.  I make more coffee, cook him some scrambled eggs, make his tuna salad to take for lunch.  I keep listening for little D, in case he's woken up.  Not a peep.

I start laundry.  Chat with Rick while he eats.  Somehow it is almost 9:30.  It is so dark and rainy.  Neither teenager has awoken.  I get concerned about D so we go down to check him.  He is out cold.  I shake him a little but no stirring.  So we tiptoe out.  But two minutes later I hear crying.  We go down and he's shocked to see us.  Where's mama?  Rick cuddles him.  Then I change him and Rick reads him a book.  He isn't crying now but he's trembling.  That's what he does when he's upset.  He's done that since he was a tiny baby.  He's a sensitive boy.  I get him dressed and upstairs.  Rick plays with him while I make eggs.  Then Rick goes to work and D and I sit down to eat our eggs.  But he is disconcerted by his mama not being there and me feeding him breakfast.  He only eats about four bites.  I eat all of mine.

We chatter and play.  We sing Wheels on the Bus.  I bounce him on my knee humming the theme to the Lone Ranger.  Then I ask our robot, Alexa, to play it.  We bounce along.  D loves it.  We go hunting for flies.  "Wies, wies" he says chasing them with a fly swatter.    It's 10:30 now.  We go upstairs and wake S and B.  It is dark and rainy out.  It feels like 6 a.m. to me instead of midmorning.  B eventually wakes up and starts doing her own laundry which means I have to move the laundry I started earlier.  I ask S and B to please watch D while i shower.  They do.  The shower is lovely but I realize the time!  I pull on the same day old clothes and go downstairs.  The dishes are all still dirty and I am determined to get some washed before I have to go pick up V.  I get the pots and pans done, but just leave all the other dishes to soak.  I kill some more flies.

11:40 - time to leave.  B packs D into his carseat.  We drive off through the rain and I notice the car is on empty.  We get there though and pick up V.  She says: what happened to his eye?   I look at D.  His right eyelid is swollen.  I had noticed earlier it was a tiny bit swollen but now it's really swollen.  Turns out to be a bug bite.  Poor kid.

We drive until we find a gas station.  Then we drive home the longer way.  I don't want to deal with speeding cars in the rain who don't bother to put their lights on so you can't see them approaching as they dart around other cars.  V is hungry.  I am getting hungry.  I give in to my lesser angel and we drive through McDonalds.  We've been eating a lot of junk food lately.  Gotta get my act in gear.  No drinks, so no straws or plastic lids, except for D.  I order him a box of milk, because the novelty of the little straw in the box makes him drink milk, whereas if you just give it to him in a sippy cup, he rejects it.  But no, McDonald's now give you a little plastic bottle of milk that spills over all.  Great.

We only have a few minutes before I have to take B to her voice lesson.  Just as we are eating I get a call from Dr. H.  S is supposed to be there right now.  Oops.  Darn it.  I am always messing up appointments with Dr. H.

B and I leave for voice.  I think the lesson is 45 minutes so I go off to Mom's Organics and buy rice, pasta, milk, toilet paper and a couple of cans of dog food.  I'm taking too long to shop.  I try to hurry back knowing I'll be a few minutes late and the sky looks like rain again.  I see messages that B called.  The lesson was only 1/2 hour.  By the time I got there she'd been waiting close to a 1/2 hour. Good thing it never rained then.

In between all these things, I've been on facebook on issues like white nationalism and Charlottesville and such.

I come home and write this up.  Then I want to read and maybe nap, but I can't find my kindle.  I started a new book last night.  Darn it.  Instead I listen/watch my youtube videos and doze to that.  I have the hardest time waking up.  I lie in bed forever trying to get up energy to get up.  I have no set plans for dinner. B comes in and says she's starving.  She asks what she can eat.  I don't know.  She winds up making some cheesy pasta with the pasta I just bought.  She feeds S too.

I get up and get some chicken broth I've been trying to make out of the fridge.  I put it on the stove top to burble.  I start cleaning some pots.  I decide I am going to use the chicken broth to cook up some rice and then put the leftover chicken sausage from last night into the rice and maybe melt some cheese in as well.   That will be dinner.  But I'm hungry so I eat all the leftover salad from last night.

V emerges from the basement with D.  S has been listening to Herbie Hancock.  I heart Herbie Hancock.  S plays with D.  I tell V my dinner plans.  She needs something other than rice and leftover sausage so I dig out some avocados I bought a few days ago.  She's crazy about avocados.   The rice dish is good.  We eat dinner.



Take V to her last class.  Bring D and B along.  Take B to her youth group.  Come home.  Little D needs a diaper change.  Then I start to read him a book on colors.  He gets all excited and runs to my desk and tries to pull out some crayons and markers.  So I find a piece of paper and he get up at the table and starting 'drawing' or its equivalent when you are 22 months old.  What amazes me is he can get the caps off the markers themselves, then put them back on again.  That takes amazing coordination!!!  He figures out on his own you can put the markers caps on either end as well.  While he's coloring he saying to himself  A . . . B . . . C  Of course he's not writing them yet, but he's definitely put together that writing and ABCs go together.  The kid is so precocious.  J got home while I was out.   Both he and S start playing with D.  I go to pick up V.  V takes D and goes down to put him to bed.  It's about 9:30.  J goes to pick B up from youth group.  I find my Kindle!  Hooray!

But it's 10:30 at night and I get on facebook.  I've got three different conversations going on at once.  J has brought B home and they are in my room having a lively conversation about the worst U.S. presidents (inspired by Trump to list them all and compare).   It's nearly 11:00.  I shoo them out and get into bed to read my book.  Read for about 5 minutes and then I am out.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment