Don't feel like wrestling with photos today as I am pressed for time. And I am still looking for hygge in the little daily things that already exist.
Like my Day 1, which involved setting up a new housekeeping system, it might not seem like hygge at first, but it creates a harmony in the home atmosphere that allows for hygge.
Friday morning is compost morning. I have a compost service that picks up my compostable items on Fridays. I have to thank my friend at The More, The Messier, for telling me about this service maybe 2 years ago? For I don't know how long, every time I'd go into my fridge, I"d experience guilt and anxiety because of the food I regularly wasted. I am not a good food manager. I would always think to myself, if I go to Hell, it'll be because I wasted so much food! This was just a regular vicious cycle of negative thinking that went on in my head for decades, every. single. day. I'd beat myself up, feel like a failure, get overwhelmed and never change.
I know some intrepid people compost in their backyards. I am not one of them. So this service is so worth it to me! This morning I got up, cleaned out a couple of the veggie drawers, threw the rotting lettuce and wrinkly moldy cucumbers into the already almost overflowing bin (had to press everything down to fit it all) and then put the bin on the front porch for pick up. A hygge moment!
The funny thing is now that I can compost my food scraps (and things like recyclable paper towel, finished steel wool soap pads, and numerous other things! I can compost more than many who have a backyard compost pile because the service is actually a commercial level one, so it can take pretty much anything that was once living, except drippy things like yogurt and liquids). Anyway, the funny thing, as I was saying, is that now I have begun to even save things that I never thought of saving. It's like once the burden got lifted from my shoulders of dealing with rotting food, I started becoming more conscientious. So now I am better at using up leftovers, saving vegetable scraps to put in the chicken broth I make weekly. In fact, remembering to make chicken broth weekly is an improvement. The other day I made some salmon cucumber salad for dinner and instead of throwing out the icky stuff (the skin and bones - I know you can eat these but the skin is too oily for me and my kids don't like the crunchy bones, even if they are soft), I saved them and fed them to my cats. Oh my gosh, my cats loved it. I never would have thought of doing something like that before.
So no photos today, but definite contentment about a little household issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment