So every once in a while I would go to youtube to look at things. Like Sue Elvis (Australian Catholic Unschooler) or Bishop Barron. Every once in a while I would find a free old movie on there. But it wasn't a habit.
But now I've a serious one. It all started with Fouch-O-Matic. Funny enough, they haven't been posting many videos lately They are taking family time this summer. This beautiful couple and their three children live on the side of a mountain in Idaho, off grid. Nick is a carpenter and welder, Esther is well, just one of the loveliest human beings around. She is a deep thinker, a person with a poetic and thought-filled approach to living. I love her! I am currently enthralled by her book, What Falls From the Sky.
Right now I am absolutely in love with Justin Rhodes and his Great American Farm Tour. He, his wife Rebekah, and their 4 young children are traveling all over the U.S. visiting various farmers, permaculturists and homesteaders. It is absolutely delightful! I highly, highly recommend watching these. They live in North Carolina. They first went south down to Florida and through those southern states, then up here to Virginia, then Maryland and then up all the way to Maine (where they visited an organic blueberry farm!). Then they hit the midwest and they are now in South Dakota. They are really into homeopathy which I am a bit cynical about. But other than that, lots of fun.
I've already posted some video clips of Off Grid with Doug and Stacy. They are former preppers (I didn't even know that was really a thing!) but then they decided to go all the way and go off grid. They are empty nesters with two grown sons. Stacy's recipes are great. They are lots of fun and always interesting. Doug is a character.
Somehow I stumbled on The Swedish Homesteader. I just thought it was intriguing to see homesteading in a different country. This has become one of my favorites. The farmer, Simeon, is honest and open and real. He is really devoted to employing the methods of Joel Salatin to his farm. He is a Christian pastor as well. He doesn't mention it much, but he wants his farming methods to work with and respect Creation, not exploit it. He's got a young family as well and he lives on a 30 acre family compound his parents bought years ago.
I've gotten into learning about permaculture, so even though the videos are long, I watch Richard Perkins, of Ridgedale Permaculture, a British guy also in Sweden.
I've also found a channel called Parttime Permies. Since I am not a gardener at all, this one actually makes me feel like maybe I could get started.
Curtis Stone is an urban farmer in British Columbia, making a living turning his lawn and his neighbors' lawns into organic gardens. He is full of business plans and better practices. Lots of intensity and energy!
I just stumbled on Darci Isabella, a Catholic mom of 10 who is a minimalist who also raises chickens and has a huge garden for her children. She is very funny! I enjoy her videos a lot.
Another channel with not quite as many children (maybe they only have six!) is Big Family Homestead. Lots of good humor even though they've been going through a tumultuous move.
I've watched various other channels as well, but right now these are my top favorites!
No comments:
Post a Comment