If my goal was to read 52 Books in 52 weeks, do I get extra credit for going over????
The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder is a lovely book. I read it aloud to Becky. This is our second Snyder book. I am enjoying going down memory lane, revisiting this favorite author of my junior high days! This book is even better than The Egypt Game I think, but it might be out of print sadly. I had to buy it used.
It is set in the late 1930s. Robin Williams (this was before the actor/comedian was known!) is a 12 year old girl whose family is on hard times. Due to the Depression and her father's habit of developing pneumonia, the family has been reduced to real poverty. They have been homeless for three or four years and have spent their time traveling from one farm to another in a dilapidated old Model T, as migrant farm workers in California. The Model T gets a flat and they wind up settling at Las Palmeras where there is a slightly spooky but supremely intriguing abandoned old mansion. Inside this mansion, Robin finds the velvet room.
It is a wonderful story with lots of suspense, lots of well drawn characters, lots of love and understanding as a young girl grapples with the hardships and tough choices her lot in life hands her.
It has a really great, satisfying conclusion. Two thumbs up!
For more book reviews see Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment