Sunday, December 9, 2012

Hercule Poirot's Christmas - Book 55

I am late to Agatha Christie. I did not care for mysteries much when I was younger. I've grown into them. I read Agatha Christie's autobiography way before I read any of her books. I saw the play The Mousetrap in England when I was 16 and still didn't read any of her books. Occasionally I would catch Masterpiece Theater's Mystery shows based on her stories and I still didn't read any of her books. But a couple of years ago I did finally read Murder on the Orient Express and then just this summer I listened on audio cd to a big collection of her short stories, many of which featured Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. So when I saw this book, Hercule Poirot's Christmas, I decided to read it for my Christmas challenge. There's a little mini-challenge going on at Read 52 Books in honor of the holiday season. I decided I would try to read at least 4 Christmas-related books between now and the end of the year. So this was my first one!

I got this on my Kindle for $2.99. It really didn't have much to do with Christmas except that that was the reason for the far flung and alienated Lee clan to gather. Mr. Lee, the rich old man at the head of the family is a difficult, manipulative sort of man who has hurt or driven all his children away in some manner. He has plans to cause further injury as a nice Christmas surprise for them, when he up and gets his throat slit on Christmas Eve. But by whom???? Christie is great at making believable characters and building the suspense while weaving in all sorts of clues that may or may not help you figure out whodunnit.

An excellent, light read. Didn't make me feel Christmasy though!

For more book reviews, go to 52 Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment