Today Sean turned 14! This morning his grandfather (and lady friend), two uncles, aunt and cousins came over to celebrate his birthday and have a belated Chanukah gathering. We had brunch. Unfortunately, I forgot that 1) Sean gets moody on his birthday and 2) he isn't a party person and he's never particularly enjoyed gatherings of this sort. Plus he woke up with a sore throat. So he was pretty gloomy until present time. His dad gave him a really cool stop motion movie kit. Or something, not sure if I really understand what exactly it is he gave him. I gave him some books. LOL. My dh and I have to coordinate more on these things!
Anyway, while we were doing the gift exchange it came up in the conversation that my father in law mentioned he'd been giving to a overseas foster children's program for over 30 years now. And I thought: hey, I can mention that in my 40 Days blog thing! We also do this. We are on our second child in Kenya, through the Christian Children's Foundation. Rick and I started this when we first got married. We are terrible though in that we never really write the child. We've only written two or three times to each child. Isn't that awful? But we do give each month (thanks to automatic withdrawal). It feels very remote, like we aren't really helping but every once in a while we get a letter, handwritten, telling us what is going on at the center where our child goes to school. So then I feel like maybe we are helping somewhat. It feels bad not to actually forge a connection. We are lousy pen pals.
Sorry this is probably disjointed. I am so tired my eyes are watering and I can only see out of one at a time! Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment