Thursday, December 6, 2012

40 Days for the Poor - Day 22 - Do you give money to people on the street?

Today while stopped at a traffic light a man came up to the window and asked for money. He was dressed in one of those yellow and orange reflective vests and he had a some kind of a badge pinned on his shirt. He also had a plastic bucket that was badly stamped with the words HELP THE HOMELESS, DISPLACED, FREE EVANGELICAL CHURCH. At least I think that was the name I saw on the bucket. It happened very quickly. I happened to have some loose change sitting in the little area between the seats so I gave it to him. He was probably legitimate. So I hope my little contribution helps someone somewhere. But the incident got me thinking. A lot of times when I am confronted by someone who obviously looks like an alcoholic or mentally deranged, I won't give money. I used to not be like that. I used to think that I should always be charitable no matter what. But then I witnessed a couple of situations where I realized I was actually contributing to someone's alcoholic or drug habit. Suddenly it occurred to me that money I give with good intentions could be the thing that kills that person or at the very least makes his plight worse. It felt like I was just giving money out of my own guilt and fear instead of really thinking about what I was doing.

My husband came to this realization too. He's downtown a lot more than I am and confronts this problem a lot more than I do too. He gives money if it feels right but he reserves the right to withhold too. And he often will offer to buy whoever it is a meal at the local sandwich shop, but he doesn't want to just hand over money if he suspects it's going for something other than food.

When I drive Becky to her summer music camp we have to pass through a very busy intersection. I often get stuck in the left lane there. There's a guy who's been begging there for ages. He's got a chair and a printed (as in it was printed by a printing company, not hand printed) saying that he's a vet. He also has a cell phone. He's often sitting on his chair chatting on his phone with his printed sign propped in front of him. I think because he's a mainstay for many years, I see people give him their change, but I have never done so. I just think he looks like he could use his powers for something with more dignity than begging on the street corner, you know? I feel like he's too slick. Is it a sin not to give to him? Maybe I should try to talk to him but actually you can't really talk at that particular intersection. God bless the man. Some part of me admires his chutzpah or whatever it is, but I just don't wanna give him my money!

Rick does try to give money annually to local homeless shelters to make up for the times he doesn't hand out money when asked. But, I don't know, every single time I am confronted with these types of encounters, I am left feeling a little helpless and guilty. I don't really know what is the best thing to do.

Well, one thing I can do of course is pray. I can pray for clarity on the subject. I can, of course, pray for the homeless.

Here's a prayer I found on Belief.Net
Prayer for the Homeless

O God, as Naomi and Ruth journeyed from one land to another seeking a home, we ask your blessing upon all who are homeless in this world. You promised to your chosen people a land flowing with milk and honey; so inspire us to desire the accomplishment of your will that we may work for the settlement of those who are homeless in a place of peace, protection, and nurture, flowing with opportunity, blessing, and hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment