Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Years Resolutions!

Okay, here I go!

Resolution No. 1

I want to be fit enough to enjoy going to the American Heritage Girl camp this summer at Goshen with Becky. It's six days of sleeping on a little camping cot in a tent and using public outhouses, dealing with heat, humidity, mosquitoes and ticks! Becky wants to go and I think in spite of everything it could be a really great experience. I'm getting older so this might be my last chance to do something like this, which is so out of character for me, city slicker that I am. But I am so out of shape! So I need to prepare.

So here's the plan: loose 5 lbs a month January through June (the camp is at the end of July). I am going to do this by:

1. Remembering to drink six 8 oz glasses of water a day (if I do this I don't seem to be as hungry).

2. Eating more fruits and vegetables

3. Making sure I have healthy snacks in the house. Also making sure I don't have any junk in the house that I will binge on.

4. Keeping a record of what I eat so I know I'm eating moderately.

5. Reducing my bread/cracker intake to once a day and my refined sugar intake to once a week.

6. Exercising 5 times a week. The following days are probably good for exercising: Tuesday (either P.E. with kids in a.m. or walk with friend in p.m. Maybe both!), Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and then either Saturday or Sunday (whichever one proves to be easier). To exercise I'll either go for a 30 minute walk outside or do my Leslie Sansone walking dvd or my yoga dvd.

Resolution No. 2

Be a better homemaker. I'll try to improve by focusing on being consistent with these systems:

1. Go grocery shopping on the same day every week. Not sure what day this will be. Used to be Sunday afternoons but that doesn't really work anymore. So I think probably Saturday mornings. In order to eat well I have to make sure good food is readily available in the house so I don't resort to carry out or junk.

2. Wash sheets and towels once a week. I am not good at keeping up with this now and it really is annoying when you can't find a clean towel!

3. Clean kitchen and run dishwasher every night.

4. Have a ten minute tidy up every evening while I make dinner.

5. Make sure kids develop habit of making bed and putting clothes away. Check rooms every a.m. (that I can).

Resolution No. 3

Be a better mom.

1. Make sure kids get up at pretty much the same time every morning.

2. Read aloud to them consistently.

3. Have a date/set time to talk about school and life once a week.

4. Train them in good habits so they can grow in competence and consideration.

5. Restrict screen time for everyone (including self!).

6. Pray with and for them.

Resolution No. 4

Be a better wife.

1. No snapping!

2. Do considerate little things for him

3. Go out on a date once a month

Resolution No. 5

Be a better human.

1. Pray more.

2. Keep up with Read 52 Books

3. Keep a better calendar so I can be responsible in my obligations to friends and family.

4. Work hard on Adler Academy Schola Alta

3 comments:

  1. I love your list and it's given me a few things to thing about for 2013. Best of luck and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list! I like the way it is focused and specific about *how* you are going to tackle each thing. I think my New Years Resolutions tend to be too vague and general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list! I use myfitnesspal to keep a food journal. It does help to stop mindless eating when you have to write it down and own it, especially if you know a few friends are going to see it, too. :)

    I just bought a bag of lemons to help me with my water habit. It helps me drink more when it has some lemon.

    ReplyDelete