My 12 yo does a lot of research on the internet. Lately he's been into minutephysics. I'm wondering how accurate these are? They do seem to leave out an awful lot. However, the fact that he enjoys watching them shows Sean's growing fascination with the topic. And they are really cool! I'm assuming most of the science is fairly good. I had trouble with the thought experiment of the cat in the bunker though. Just couldn't grasp that one. They seem to make a jump in their thinking that doesn't follow logically (at least to my little ole brain!).
He's also been going to blogs like this:
http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/
He continues to be fascinated by voice actors. He practices different voices all the time. He and Becky have a host of characters they play, all with different voices to match their personalities. Yesterday, we went on a long walk and I had to listen to many of the voices. Now, I'm sure this is a good thing, to have such a passionate interest and to have a sister who plays along so well, so I appreciated it at that level. However, it was a gorgeous fall day and I would have like to have a nice, peaceful, let's look at nature kind of walk. Instead it was anything but peaceful! The kids could have been anywhere so wrapped up were they in their own little world of characters and voices! But at least we got some fresh air and exercise.
And lastly, he's been into Popeye and Tom and Jerry. In fact, this past Saturday we got a really early (1930s?) Popeye cartoon on the Apple TV. It was the first animated telling of Aladdin. Sean marveled at how cleverly they got the whole story in. He praised the humor, the pacing, even the music was good! He said he thought it was much better than the Disney formulaic retelling. Early Tom and Jerry cartoons have always been a favorite and he's been revisiting them, too.
All this is Sean driven. I have been having issues with my kids' access to the internet, but on the whole it really has been an blessing to us, all that free information out there, free for the taking!
Very cool re the old cartoons! And I love child driven strewing
ReplyDelete