While decluttering one of the baskets under our coffee table yesterday, I found a little spring balance pilfered from some science kits from years ago. Becky was delighted with it. She immediately hung it on a cabinet door knob in the kitchen. It was hard to find things to hang on it, so she made her own little basket from an old apple cider gallon jug, a hole puncher and some string.
She had fun learning about grams. Her dad helped her look up how many grams are in a pound (450!) and they figured out via a calculator how many grams are in an ounce (I think it was 28. something but I can't quite remember right now!).
How much does your sock monkey weigh?
This was completely spontaneous. I didn't have to do a thing to plan it. This is the beauty of strewing! (Also, it makes me feel not so bad for being such a clutterer!)
Children do love to weigh things. See my earlier post on this.
I might have to pick up a spring balance now!
ReplyDeleteI think we have one of those left over from an old kit too - I'll have to dig it out :)
ReplyDeleteVery creative and I love spontaneous lessons! Thanks for linking up!
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen a spring balance in years - I loved how self-directed this activity was.
ReplyDelete