Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sinner - Book 49

Sinner; The Catholic Guy's Funny, Feeble Attempts to be a Faithful Catholic by Lino Rulli is hysterically funny and rings so true as Rulli honestly recounts the situations, temptations and thoughts that a contemporary person, trying to be a good Catholic, encounters every day.

It's a quick read and Rulli doesn't really wax theological much, but he does really believe in the teachings of the Catholic church, however ruefully, and he does try to live his life according to those principles. But, like many of us, he fails a lot. And he manages to make these failures very, very funny.

I had never heard of Lino Rulli until last week! When we bought our new mini-van it came with this free three month subscription to XM radio. I tried to fool around with it when we first got the car, but frankly I couldn't quite figure it out and wasn't too impressed. Right after the elections however, I was feeling a bit down and sort of rejected by my own fellow countrymen and therefore in need of some Catholic comradeship. And I also happened to find myself driving around a lot one day. This spurred me to try the XM feature once again and I found The Catholic Channel. There was this hysterically funny guy named Lino Rulli and a priest named Father Rob who basically are just two buddies cracking each other up and doing really silly things on the air. They had me hooting with laughter. I was hooked. I have listened every day for the past week and have just renewed my XM subscription for a year. When I found out that Lino Rulli had written a book, I immediately downloaded it on my Kindle. I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a likable, honest, clever and funny guy.

Two thumbs up!

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment