My Sisters, The Saints by Colleen Carroll Campbell is a lovely book that I found both intelligent and inspirational. Campbell was familiar to me because of her show on EWTN which I've seen maybe a total of 5 times but it impressed me mightily each time. It is called Faith and Culture and she interviews someone, usually in academia or from a think tank, on pressing ethical issues of the day, all from a Catholic perspective. I was always impressed by her poise and knowledge. She is a cut above your usual news interviewer! Her interviews are archived at her website here.
This book is a memoir of Campbell's life from college where she was losing her religion (as that pop song puts it) to the birth of her twins. She faces many issues that contemporary women face, dealing with the secular culture and the sexual revolution, dealing with feminism and ambition for a fulfilling career versus marriage and children, dealing with infertility and trying to accept the crosses we must bear, dealing with the problems of watching and caring for beloved parents who face health crisis after crisis.
Along this way, she finds solace and inspiration from certain saints, namely, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Faustina, Edith Stein (St. Teresa Benedicta), Blessed Mother Teresa and finally, Mary, the Blessed Virgin.
This is a very feminine book. It reminded me of Father James Martin's My Life with the Saints, only told from a very female point of view. I thought it was a lovely, lovely read. I read this book on my kindle.
For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books.
Sounds really interesting and will have to check it out. I have a couple books in my tbr pile about St. Teresa and Mother Teresa.
ReplyDelete