Poor Will came home from Boston already sick with the same thing we all have: fever, sore throat, cough. So we are going to have a low key Thanksgiving this year. My husband is going to roast a turkey on the outdoor BBQ (if he feels up for it). I might try to cook up some potatoes and cranberry sauce.
Here is a beautiful Thanksgiving prayer I found on this blog:
“O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.”
Lately I've been pondering this from 1 John 17-18:
If someone who has worldly means sees a brother in need and refuses him compassion, how can the love of God remain in him? Children, let us love not in word or speech but in deed and truth.
And finally, the Washington Post ran a story/photo essay about how food pantries are seeing a rise in need because of soaring food prices. Here's a link.
This little Pentecostal church is doing its best to live the gospel. Hallelujah!
No comments:
Post a Comment