If you scroll down this blog a bit and look to the right side, you'll see the Free Rice icon there. Click on it and you can play the Free Rice game. This is a vocabulary/trivia game and every time you play free rice gets donated to hungry people around the planet. It is sponsored by the the World Food Programme. The money for the rice is donated by the different companies who get to display their ads at the bottom of the game page. Yesterday when I was last playing the game (studying up on my Latin vocabulary too!) I noticed ads from Cox, Gain detergent and American Girl Dolls.
I first saw this game several years ago on the Lapaz Home Learning blog that Theresa writes. I meant to get the icon and put it on my blog a long, long time ago but hesitated because I am horrible at navigating little things like that. Things that other people seem to do so easily on their blogs, stymies me to an embarrassing extent! However, just a couple of months ago I finally looked into it and it is so easy to participate in this Free Rice game that even I could figure it out. I checked out the World Food Programme and as far as I can tell it's legit. The World Food Programme is part of the United Nations and I know some of its policies are questionable, but this particular game looks like it is just about getting food to people, namely rice. It certainly is a very clever idea. Really, there is no reason why everyone can't be playing this Free Rice game, with as much time as we piddle away on the internet doing fairly mindless things, this not only feeds the hungry but sharpens up your own knowledge as well. It is ideal for unschoolers!
So try a little strewing and play Free Rice today!
No comments:
Post a Comment