Monday, October 9, 2017

Weekend Hygge

The weather has been strangely warm and humid.  It doesn't feel like October right now.  And it's been raining all morning as well.  However, in spite of, or maybe because of this, my flowers are still blooming like crazy!

One of the last of the glorious hydrangeas!


The azalea's last stand.

Our Lady of Guadalupe with rose petals.

The rose bush has grown so tall!
A dash of yellow 



Soon the weather will change, the flowers will all drop their petals, the leaves with color and die, the air will turn crisp and chill!  So I am appreciating the last of the summer flowers!

Two other hygge-y things.  Both dealing with annoying aches and pains.  This first one is ridiculous.  Over a year ago we had our bathroom redone.  I love my new bathroom!  But I identity as chiefly a shower person.  I hardly ever take baths.  However, when we were choosing the new tub for our master bathroom, we picked out a soaker tub.  The other bathrooms are too small for anything other than one of those standard, too small really for a comfortable bathtub so kind of a glorified shower space tub.  But we had the room in our master bathroom so we got a big soaker tub.  Nice and deep.  Well, I had never taken a bath in it!  Other members of the family had, but not me.  I had been meaning for months and months to take an epsom salt bath for my plantar fasciitis feet, but I'd only gotten as far as buying a carton of the salts from the drug store.  There it sat unopened on my counter for months.  But yesterday my stupid knee was aching so, I decided to take the plunge.  I had to clean the tub out first, which wasn't too bad.  Then I ran the water and put in a couple of cups of epsom salts.




It was heavenly.

Sheer bliss.

I could feel myself relaxing.  My aches and pains all went away and I just floated in the warm water utterly at peace.

Note to self:  soak in epsom salt bath at least once a week!


The other thing I did because my neck has been really bothering me lately was go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy a new pillow.  For years and years I slept on the same old pillows.   Then I hurt my neck and had to get physical therapy.  The therapist said to buy a special foam pillow to support my  neck, so I did.  It was ok but kind of too firm for comfort.  I slept on it for a couple of years but my neck started to get really creaky (literally making creaking sounds when I'd go to turn it!) and I'd wake up with headaches that were not migraines yet but threatened to blossom into migraines.  They definitely were emanating from my neck.  So this past Memorial Day weekend while at our local town's annual fair where they have lots of booths of various merchants selling things, I bought a bamboo pillow.  The guy swore up and down that it was the answer to my problem.  So I bought it and. . . . too thick and the bamboo filling that was supposed to be so malleable always wound up in a big clump that was very uncomfortable.  The last couple of weeks my neck has been super bothering me.  So yesterday I tried again in my quest for the perfect pillow.  I examined all the pillows Bed, Bath and Beyond had to offer and selected the Dr. Maas pillow for back and side sleepers (conveniently on sale).  This morning I woke up neck pain free!!!!!  I felt so refreshed!

Now if only my knee would stop hurting.

1 comment:

  1. It wasn't strangely humid, it was INSANELY humid. It was WELCOME TO THE GATES OF HELL humid.

    ReplyDelete