On Thursdays I teach Latin 1 and Modern European History at an Aquinas Learning Center. I've been teaching at Aquinas off and on for 7 or so years. Last year I only taught Latin 1; the year before Latin 1 and 2. And before that I taught Latin 1 and Literature and Composition, or Lit/Comp as it gets called.
Anyway a couple days ago the lit/comp teacher emailed me asking if I could take over her class while she went to a writing conference. I said yes. Then late last night I got an email saying that the teacher for another lit/comp class and the U. S. History class was down with a fever, could I sub for her?
Oh man, I thought. I am going to be so stressed out and exhausted! And my legs hurts so much too! I was having trouble getting around. With my own two classes but three others I would be teaching from 9 to 3, with a lunch break, except I had told a student I would tutor him over lunch. Well, I did it and it was fun! The day shot past! Even though I didn't quite know what I was doing in the three other classes I was subbing for, I think I knew enough that they at least weren't a complete waste of time.
9:00 - 10:00
Lit/comp - the book the kids just finished reading was Amos Fortune. The composition was IEW dress ups like ly words, strong verbs, quality adjectives, who/which clauses and www.asia.b Dimly, in the back of my mind I remembered all this stuff from when I taught it years ago as a sub myself when a teacher had to be out for a few months. And also B did IEW when she was in Aquinas.
10:00 - 11:00
U.S. History - we did a Lost Tools of Writing style of debate on Columbus Day vs. Indigenous Peoples Day; then we discussed early interaction of Native Americans with French explorers as well as first hand accounts of encounters in Maryland.
11:00 - 12:00
My Latin 1 class - quiz on 3rd declension, parsed some sentences, did some Certamen prep in Roman history.
12:00 - 12:20 tutored student struggling with memorization of paradigms.
12:20 - 1:00 lunch
1:00-2:00 Another Lit/Comp class - these were older students who'd just finished reading the Aeneid. Did a Lost Tools of Writing essay on: Should Aeneas have stayed in Carthage with Dido?
2:00 - 3:00 My Modern European History class - Reviewed Chapter on 7 Years War, etc; picked out person to do presentation on next week; read aloud to them about Voltaire from George Washington's World by Genevieve Foster. My MEH kids had also done a presentation on the new foods introduced to Europe from other countries during the age of Enlightenment. It was on display in the lunch room but I don't think many people noticed it, so I'm going to put it up again next week.
Now I am home and planning to have a cup of tea and rest my leg. And I have no idea what to have for dinner tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment