Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Plague and I - Book 28




I am on a Betty MacDonald kick.  Right after I finished The Egg and I, I started on The Plague and I which I remember really enjoying when I first read it many years ago.  I enjoyed it again!  I confess I find the peek into a TB sanatorium before World War II fascinating.  MacDonald describes the atmosphere, the people, her emotions and experiences in such a way that the whole book was a pleasure.  It wasn't as funny (or trying to be as funny) as The Egg and I but since I found the humor a little forced when I reread The Egg and I, I kind of liked that aspect of it.  I think her writing was just better in this book.   It flowed better to me.  And I wasn't cringing at her characterizations of Native Americans and such.  In fact, her dearest friend from the sanatorium turned out to be a young Japanese girl with a wicked, dry sense of humor.

Definite two thumbs up!

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.



1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the re-read. Think I must revisit it myself.

    ReplyDelete