Sunday, October 15, 2017
Onions in the Stew - Book 29
I am on a Betty MacDonald jag. I've read The Egg and I, The Plague and I (both of which I'd read before) and now Onions in the Stew which I had not read before. This is her third book chronologically. In this book she meets and marries Don MacDonald who works at Boeing which got such a boost during World War II. Due to the housing shortage they wind up moving out to Vashon Island to a house right on the beach. MacDonald loves being close to the beach but this is the Pacific Northwest, so while there are lots of beautiful things, there's lots and lots of rain and quirky neighbors too! This book basically covers how she raised her children with her new husband; a successful marriage, though there were certainly some tensions.
My absolute favorite part of this book was the author's recounting of raising adolescent girls. I howled in recognition of the absolute insanity, absurdity and out of the blue tension that happens when trying to parent teens. MacDonald says it so well, so to the point, so exactly right!
Highly, highly enjoyable memoir!
For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment