Thursday, September 28, 2017

Finished Product

Dinner last night was a resounding success!

I was too lazy to take nice photos.



So I didn't consult any recipe, I just threw it together and it came out delicious.

Filling:
Chopped up half a large onion
1 large clove of garlic smashed and chopped
Soften up both of these in some olive oil.
Threw in a lb of ground beef and cooked it up
Seasoned with Mrs. Dash (I know, but my husband is on a low salt diet).  I did add a bit of Himalayan salt and some black pepper too.

In the meantime I put a cup of rice in with two cups of chicken broth into my rice cooker.  The broth still had a some fat in it (I hadn't skimmed it off yet) so I didn't add anything else to the rice.

When the rice was done I stirred it into the ground beef mixture.

In the meantime, I put the oven on at 350 degrees, washed and cut in half my peppers, cleaned out the seeds and such from the insides.  Then I brushed them with a bit of olive oil and baked them by themselves for about 10 minutes.

Then I stuffed the peppers with the beef and rice mixture.  I topped each one with a bit of parmesan cheese and baked them all for another 20 minutes or so.

The peppers tasted really good.  Not too mushy, but not underdone either.

Can you even tell what this is?  


Fried green tomatoes:

I didn't have any bread crumbs, so I stole half of a small baguette and toasted it, then chopped it up into coarse crumbs in my blender.  I added a lot of Mrs. Dash.  I know, but I really like Mrs. Dash, ok???

Then I beat one egg in a dish and then dumped all the bread crumbs in and mushed it around till the breadcrumbs were damp.

I washed and sliced up all the green tomatoes.

I heated some olive oil in a pan and placed the sliced tomatoes in and then spread the bread crumbs on top.  At this point I think I added some garlic salt.

I covered it all and let the bread crumbs get really crispy and some of the tomatoes were browning.  Then I flipped everything over and did the same on the other side.  Then because I had the jar of parmesan still out, I sprinkled the rest of the cheese that was left (maybe 2 tablespoons?) on the tomatoes.

So delicious!

And tonight we are having the leftover peppers along with the leftover kale and potatoes from the night before with a couple of boxes of Annie's Mac and Cheese.  Gotta have a leftover night once a week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment