Tuesday, September 5, 2017

100 Days of Hygge - Day 16

I made hummus and flatbread!

Homemade hummus with celery, red pepper, cucumber, carrots and homemade flatbread cut into strips!


Hummus recipe - modified from whatever random hummus recipe I found on the internet.

2 cans of garbanzo beans, drained, but save the liquid

Tahini - about 3/4 a cup

1/4 cup olive oil to start with, but I added more as I went.  It was probably less than a 1/2 cup all together

A couple of big dollops of chopped garlic from a jar

The juice of almost a whole lemon (I had used a slice of it earlier in the day in my mineral water).

1 tablespoon of ground cumin

salt and pepper to taste

Some chopped parsley to sprinkle on the hummus when you serve it.

Throw everything into a blender and blend.  You have to drizzle in the liquid from the drained garbanzo beans as you blend.  Stir frequently because initially it is so thick the liquid will just sit on top.  So you blend for a minute, then stir, then add a little liquid (I also added a little more olive oil at the point too), then blend again.  Repeat this several times until you like the consistency and the taste.  I kept adding a bit more salt at the end to get it right.

This makes a little less than a quart mason jar full of hummus!

To go with the hummus, I chopped up veggies as you can see from the photo.

I also made sweet potato flatbread again.  This was my third time making it.  Everybody still loves it!  It is very easy, except the dough is so sticky and sticks to my rolling pin no matter what!  Don't like that part.


Flatbread
1 sweet potato - boiled or baked (or if you are like me you cheat and use the microwave)
1 cup of sprouted wheat flour - this is supposed to be healthier for you.
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all together in a bowl.  Flour your hands well and work the dough until it has a nice consistency.  Break into smaller balls of dough and roll out into 'tortillas.'  In the meanwhile, melt a tablespoon  of coconut oil in a pan.  Toss the tortilla into the pan and fry up.  Takes 2 minutes on one side and one minute on the other.   Makes six to eight of medium sized rounds, depending on how you divide up the dough.   As the oil gets used up add another tablespoon.

I got this recipe from Off Grid with Doug and Stacy, but I think there are many floating around the internet.

Both the hummus recipe and the flatbread/tortilla recipe are keepers for my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment