Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Slaying the Plastic Dragon - Day 30 - No More Disposable Tablecloths

I bought a tablecloth!  It was only $6.99 at a nearby thrift shop and it is definitely long enough.  It might be partly polyester, but it isn't one of those new microfiber ones that don't absorb liquids.    As wonderfully stain resistant as those may be, they are made with plastic.

The important thing for me was finding a tablecloth big enough.  The table is 108 inches long with all the leaves in.  Most long table cloths are 108 inches, which means they just barely cover the top of my table with no 'drop' which I've learned is the technical word for the amount of cloth that hangs down on the sides of the table.   It is hard to find a tablecloth for a table that long and when you do it is expensive.  For years I've been buying disposable 'tablecloths,' that is, paper with plastic coating.  We usually use our dining room for homeschooling (you can see I've tucked the books that were on the table on the chairs in the photo).  But for certain holidays we get all formal and eat here:  Rosh Hashanah, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and now Passover and Easter are coming up.

I really needed a tablecloth!


It is a kind of neutral pale green, which I think works with the room.



I think the lacy embossed pattern is lovely.


You can see Dylan's cardboard castle he got from Christmas.  It lives in the living room.
Of course, the beauty of disposable tablecloths is if someone knocks over a glass of red wine, you can just chuck it in the trash and be done with it.  This tablecloth will have to be stain treated and washed.  I do think it will fit in my washer.  I mean if king size sheets fit, this surely will.  But even if the stain doesn't come out . . . . well. I only spent $6.99!  Though then I'll have the same problem of needing a tablecloth!


***************************************
I just thought Monday's dinner looked pretty.


Plastic free dinner!  Sweet potato hash and corn muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment