Saturday, April 22, 2017

Easter Season Resolutions

I can't just make New Year's resolutions.  I never stick to them.  I have to always be starting again, all through the year.  So I look to the change of seasons (both natural and liturgical) as excuses to start over again.

So, in this Easter season (which lasts until Pentecost) I am trying to organize two areas of my life in particular:  our family prayer life and my postings on this blog.

Family prayer life:

For ages now, we've met at some point during the morning to read the daily scripture readings, listen to 'saint of the day' and do some copy work.  Somehow, I think around Christmas time, this habit, which has been going on for years, began to dissipate.  I think because I am dealing with my youngest two who are teens.  As kids get older their sleep schedule, their work schedule, etc become their own and I feel less inclined to dictate to them.  So I just haven't had the motivation to keep at it.  But as these few months have shown, it really was a good habit we had going there.  We need a little bit of structure to anchor the morning.  So back to that, starting Monday.

Also, we've stopped saying night prayers together most nights.  I usually was the one to remember but when I forgot, someone else in the family usually piped up to remind us.  But lately, when I've forgotten, no one else has stepped in.  Our evenings are chaotic often.  Rick sometimes works late, I've been doing school work at night, the kids are out or V is at her class and needs to be picked up at 9:30, etc, etc.  It has become hard to remember.  But it is not good to go to bed without praying.  Maybe the kids pray by themselves.  I think they sometimes do, but not habitually.  So, I am going to try to remember tonight (we remembered Thursday night but not last night, alas).  And I am going to exhort the others to step in if I forget.

This blog:

I do enjoy blogging.  I know I have a very small readership, but that's fine with me.  There's just something about typing my thoughts up and preserving them here that does me good.  But I've decided I need a pattern in my blog posts.  I'm much better at it, if I do have some kind of structure here as well.  Even if it only lasts for a certain phase of time, that's fine.  It still helps me focus.  So here's what I've come up with:

Sunday
Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks - I've been posting book reviews on Sundays for a few years now.

Monday
I think I might make this Monday Meals.  This of course will have to do with cooking, food and meal planning.  It may occasionally branch off into other areas of domesticity.

Tuesday
I like the ring of "Tuesday Topics"  This will be focused on thoughts I've got rolling around in my mind about whatever!  Could be politics, could be religion, could be something else!

Wednesday
Often in my reading I'll come across some little gem of wisdom that I'd like to record.  So I think these posts will be entitled:  Wednesday Wisdom.  It will serve as my weekly commonplace book.

Thursday
Official break day from blogging.

Friday
Photo Friday!  I am going to try to remember to take more pictures during the week and then post the best ones on Friday.

Saturday
Another break day from blogging (although I am posting this on a Saturday!)

2 comments:

  1. I like your blogging plan. I want to get back to blogging more regularly, but I keep having good intentions then fail to act on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is HistoryRoundAbout your main blog, Kathryn? I am going to link to it here on my blog.

    ReplyDelete