![]() |
| I love this art by John F Quirk |
My son wrote a musical fairy tale that features a land of garbage. Complete with monster! (And I named this Lenten series about giving up plastic - Slaying the Plastic Dragon. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!)
Also, it turns out that Somerdale cheese is a seasonal item at Whole Foods. I went back to buy another wheel and they didn't have anything. The only wheels I could get had things like mustard seed in them or cranberries. I am in mourning. We'll have to wait until the holiday season starts up again next fall.
In the meantime, I am just going to get cheese over the deli counter. If you bring your own container, the person waiting on you just puts the slices in there instead of in a plastic bag.*
End of this month of April and beginning of next month, May means farmers' markets will start opening up. It looks like I might be able to get cheese there. I'll be checking out that possibility.
*Dh wanted to grill for dinner last night, so he ran to Whole Foods to get some ground beef. I think the freezer paper WF uses is compostable. I think. You have to take the plastic price sticker off first. He also picked up some sliced cheddar cheese for cheeseburgers. He asked for no plastic so they put it in a cardboard carry out box. I looked those up and they are for sure compostable.
| VeteranCompost.com |
Have I talked about composting here? (I fear I am repeating myself; though it bears repeating!) It doesn't really involve plastic, of course, but once you try to reduce your plastic, you kind of move on to trying to reduce the amount of overall trash you produce. I've been using a composting company for a over a year now. My issue was all the food I was wasting. At least now I'm composting the shriveled up carrots and decomposing lettuce that gets left in the fridge too long! I am not a home composter, which comforts me in a way. You have to be dedicated to it to keep it in such a way that a variety of things actually compost. A professional composter very likely does a much better and more thorough job than I could do.
One important thing I've learned is that you MUST take the plastic stickers off fruit peels, etc before you put it in your compost. I had been sloppy about this before, but I read it really messes things up, so no plastic, even a tiny bit, in the compost, please!

The link just goes to the logo url, rather than to Veteran Compost's site!
ReplyDeleteOh thanks! Will fix.
ReplyDelete