List of classics for this spin. They'll pick the number over at the Classics Club on Monday 4/22.
1. The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius
2. Summa Theologica by St. Thomas Aquinas (probably just the first part)
3. Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila
4. The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser
5. Something by Shakespeare I haven't read yet.
6. Utopia by St. Thomas More
7. Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
8. The Story of Art by E. H. Gombrich
9. Civilization by Kenneth Clark
10. The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
11. Divine Comedy (other than Inferno; probably Purgatio) by Dante
12. The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni
13. A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft
14. Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
15. Wise Blood by Flannery O'Conner
16. The Wasteland by T. S. Eliot
17. Memoirs of Margery Kempe
18. Writings of Hildegard of Bingen
19. Helena by Evelyn Waugh
20. Something by Kathleen Norris (Dakota Walk or Quotidian Mysteries)
Since I've limited myself to only spiritual reading until Easter, I'm kind of burned out on that! So if one of those books gets chosen, I hope it is a shorter one. I kind of need a light, refreshing novel right about now (none of which is on this list!). I'm currently reading The Life of Moses by St. Gregory Nyssa.
Ah, I finally found a way to comment on your blog ... for some reason through Safari, it wasn't working.
ReplyDeleteI believe I've either read or have had on a list all of your books except for 9, 14, 15, 18 & 19. I have The Faerie Queene on my CC list but I didn't get it for the spin; I started it a couple of years ago but only managed to read a couple of books of it ... it would be nice to get it finished. I'm reading both The Divine Comedy (2nd time) and The Vindication of the Rights of Woman right now. Both are excellent.
All the best with the spin, Faith and I hope you get the book you want!
I'm glad you made it here to comment! I wasn't aware that Safari made it hard. That's good to know. I am really excited to find out what my next classic read will be tomorrow!
Delete