Sunday, December 9, 2018

Nicholas Gilroy - Book 46




Nicholas Gilroy was written by Father Stephen Gemme and Deacon George.  I actually got a free copy from Father Stephen, who I happen to be facebook friends with.  He asked me to read it and pass it on. I plan to donate it to the parish where my daughter attends youth group.

This book tells the story of Nicholas' experiences as he enters a fictional high school seminary located in Baltimore.  I enjoyed the interaction of real Baltimore (my home for 3 years and where my husband and his family hail from) and the imaginary Baltimore.  Nicholas comes from a wealthy neighborhood, Roland Park, and he has adventures at the Inner Harbor.  We follow Nicholas as he makes new friends, grows in his love for Christ, and learns to translate that love into serving the less fortunate.

The tone of the writing is a reminiscent of the pious, idealized narrative voice of such authors as Brother Ernest and his saints series.  Or Mary Fabian Windeatt and her saint books.  It also reminded me of the Father Finn, Tom Playfair books as well (maybe because Nicholas is at a Catholic boarding school/seminary).  But there were some more modern touches as well.  For instance, Nicholas was homeschooled.  And at the seminary they have to have rules about cell phones.  There's mention of whiteboards replacing old blackboards and even some talk on bias in the media coverage of the annual March for Life in Washington D.C.  Again, like the charming mix of real and imaginary Baltimore, there is a mix of a sense of the old fashioned with new, modern elements which I found charming.

I loved this series by Father Finn.  Nicholas Gilroy reminded me a bit of them, only more modern.

The ending of the story does involve some violence and tragedy.  I would say Nicholas Gilroy is aimed at advanced 4th grade through average 6th grade reading levels.  However, there are a couple of very advanced Catholic vocabulary words, like humeral and luna!  It is an intensely Catholic book meant to awaken in the reader a pious love for Christ and His great Mother Mary.

Thank you very much, Father Gemme for giving me this book.  I enjoyed reading it!

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment