Here's a link to a really interesting Catholic Reading Challenge. I've decided I will participate.
Categories:
A Spiritual Memoir:
I might reread The Seven Storey Mountain. I read it back in my early 20s and honestly I don't think I finished it.
A Classic Spiritual Work
Interior Castle - been wanting to read this ever since we visited Avila, Spain. This will also count as a book by a Catholic saint and woman!
A Book About Mary
Not sure. Might check out the Brant Pitre book on the Jewish Roots of Mary
Book By A Catholic Novelist
I've never read Walker Percy.
Book By A Pope
Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict. Another book I started and never finished.
Book By A Catholic Woman
See Interior Castle
A Book About Liturgy
I've had Scott Hahn's The Lamb's Supper sitting on my book shelf for 15 years maybe. When did it come out? It's been staring at me for ages.
Book By An Early Church Father
On Social Justice by Basil the Great sounds intriguing
A Conversion Story
I have read many conversion stories. I love them. But I have never read An Immovable Feast.
A Book About Apologetics
I am actually currently reading The Light of Christ by Father White, I'll finish in 2019 at some point. I only read a few pages at a time most mornings.
A Book By An Orthodox Christian
I read Laurus a year or so ago. I loved it! Highly, highly recommend it. And I just finished The Brothers Karamazov this year. So much to that book! I feel like I only took in maybe 20% of it's wisdom. However, I do not feel up for rereading it so soon. So I am not sure what I will read here. I think I need a novel of some sort. I'm reading too many heavy theological and historical books! Wait, I just remembered that I've been wanting to read The Life of Moses by St. Gregory Nyssa for a while now. Maybe that fits in this category?
A Hagiography
Helena by Waugh - I've been meaning to read this for a while. But I'm also interested in Black Elk. Might read two for this category!
A Long Catholic Book
Might reread In This House of Brede. Again, read it so many years ago I can barely remember it.
A Book By A Catholic Philosopher - hmmm.
A Catholic Classic
I was planning to attempt The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius this year anyway. Perhaps that can be both a classic and a book by a philosopher?
Book By A Saint
I do want to read Life of Christ by Sheen. I started it and found it absolutely luminous but I misplaced the book and life got too distracting and busy and to my sorrow, I never picked it up again.
A Book By A Non-Catholic That All The Catholics Are Reading
I really enjoyed Karen Prior Swallow's first book so I think I'll go for her On Reading Well.
Book About A Catholic Monarch
I might skip this category. I honestly have no interest right now in this topic. I think it's because I found out there are all these hidden Catholic monarchists in the American Solidarity Party. I became so disenchanted and disgusted by this that I have a mental block about anything that lionizes Catholic monarchy. However, I am also reading SWB's history books on the Medieval and Renaissance ages as part of my own personal reading plan for 2019, so maybe there will be someone who pops up that I will be interested in. But I am giving myself the permission to give this category a pass, if I so choose.
A Recently Published Catholic Book
The Grace of Enough is a book I had already planned to read as a group read in the Catholics for Zero Waste facebook group.
No comments:
Post a Comment