Sunday, November 27, 2016

Medicus - Book 34



I decided to read something light after Hillbilly Elegy.  I've felt a bit like I'm on vacation, since the end of the Theology term.  A friend on Facebook suggested this series and it looked interesting so I downloaded the first book.  I gobbled it up in a few days and am now reading the second book in this series.  I am really enjoying these reads!

Medicus is Latin for doctor.  The author seems to know a lot about Ancient Rome in Britain, but she also seems to take a lot of artistic license.  Somehow she carries it off well.  The main character is Gaius Petreius Ruso, a military doctor, who is dedicated to his work and a bit of bumbler in every other aspect of his life.  He's recently divorced because his wife Claudia didn't like the fact that he wasn't an ambitious social climber.  His father has died leaving the family in debt, and now he is the paterfamilias so he must help to get things settled for his brother Lucius and his family, his step-mother and his step sisters.  This means he's always broke because he sends back what pay he has to them.  He's gotten himself transferred from Africa to a British outpost.  Out in the street he comes across a slave girl whose been beaten and has a broken arm.  His first instinct is to rescue her (by buying her) and then try to set the arm.  The girl, Tilla, turns out to be a very pretty native of Britain and she brings a wake of trouble with her.  She's being keep in a room above a bar where 'dancing girls' or rather prostitute-slaves are forced to work.  Two of the girls have recently turned up dead.  Ruso unwillingly is forced into investigating the murders.  Meanwhile, he has to deal with the Type A, controlling, manipulative hospital administrator.

It's an entertaining, intelligent story.  Ruso is a great character and the author tells the story with a sense of humor.  There isn't too much gore and sex is just alluded to - no lurid descriptions.

Two thumbs up!

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment