Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Advent and Plans

Almost Thanksgiving!  We aren't actually celebrating on Thursday.  We are going to have the big family  get together on Saturday instead.  Tomorrow I hope to work on decluttering and cleaning.  I know that sounds dreary but we finally finished our renovations and now we can get rid of stuff and put the stuff back that we want.  Also I need to go through closets and drawers and give the still good used clothing to our parish's clothing drive.

I can't believe Advent starts this Sunday.  I am feeling so relieved about my Theology term being over, that I, for once, feel relaxed going into the Christmas season.  I have made a big decision.  I am not going to pursue a Theology degree.  I just found that I didn't have enough time to keep up with it and do all the other things in my life that I need/feel called to do.  As I said to the kids, I already have proven that I can do the academic thing.  I have a B.A. and J.D.  I don't need to prove that I can do it.  It was just a dream I had which turned out not to be worth the stress.  I will continue to take Latin courses though.  But Theology I will just pursue on my own.  For instance, since I am not going to take Theology courses this winter, I can relax and participate in a twitter read-along, lead by a Catholic professor of Theology on Augustine's City of God.  It is a 15 week long discussion on this classic.  I am excited!  This to me is a low pressure, fun way to explore Theology.

I am also going to read Jacques Maritain's book Man and the State.  I inherited a copy of this book from my grandfather.  Someone in the American Solidarity Party is a professor who teaches this book, so I can turn to him to ask questions as I read.  Isn't that cool!  I'd rather learn things that way then worry about having time to write a paper (I had to write one this past terms and it messed with both going away for the weekend with Rick for our anniversary, as well as taking me away from spending time with Eli who was visiting.  Bah, humbug, I don't need that!)

I also want to get more involved in working with the homeless in this area and I can't do that, plus teach Latin, drive my kids all over the place for their classes, activities, etc and go to school at the same time.  If I were working toward a degree for employment reasons or to prove to myself that I could stick it out, well, then it would be wrong to give up.  But I was doing it for the enjoyment of it, and that means it does not take priority over other things in my life.

Random list of things to do:
Register for Latin class
Get involved in certamen with the Aquinas Learning group
Register Sean for his community college classes for next semester
Give blood at church Dec. 4th
Focus on Christmas gifts and decorations
December 17th is the Family PASS Christmas dinner for their clients.  We are volunteering for that.
December 22nd is Sean's birthday!  How to celebrate it?  He'll be 18, omg!
December 24th - Mass - it is also the first day of Chanukah
December 25th - Christmas!
Between Christmas and New Years I usually go to an annual lunch out with all my sisters.
New Years day - Is this when we should celebrate Chanukah with extended family?
But when is my family's big Christmas get together?  Better find that out.

There's other stuff to do too.  But that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment