Saturday, May 3, 2014

Something Other than God - Book 20

I pre-ordered this book on my Kindle because I was so excited to read Jennifer Fulwiler's conversion story.  I love her smart, funny approach to life and to being Catholic.  I enjoy her Conversion Diary blog, in fact I remember reading her back when she was still wondering if she should be Catholic.  I think.  My memory is hazy but I remember a lot of debates with atheists and the classy way I thought she debated them.  I was also curious about how much the book could really say.  Would she just retell her story?  She pretty much tells most of it on her blog.  So the minute the book appeared on my Kindle, I plunged in.  Well, the book is great.  It did not disappoint.  I read it in two days, shirking some of my duties to do so.  I can relate to so much of what she reveals when it comes to that interior spiritual quest that goes on in the heart.  What I couldn't relate to was the speed in which it all happened for her.  I am so slow at this conversion thing!  It took me years to get to where she got to in a few months.

I also was really envious of the fact that her husband converted at the same time.  My husband very rarely really talks about religion.  He's great in that he supports us by going to Mass and in many other little ways, but we never really talk about God and things spiritual very deeply.  I asked him once, if you die, how do you want to be buried?  Jewish or what?  But he evaded the question and said:  Well, I'll be dead so I won't care, do whatever works!  I think it is very unfair.  If I go first, he's got a set formula he can follow!  Maybe we'll go together in a car or plane crash.  Then our poor children will have to figure it out.

Anyway, I highly enjoyed this book.  If you enjoy reading conversion stories by funny, intelligent women who ask the all the very same questions you have asked or are currently asking, this is the book for you.

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment