Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Update on New Year's Resolutions - Reset!

Hah! I have not been doing too well on these. So I think it might be time to do a reset!

I think I'll just work my way through all of them and discern just how things have been going.

For my health plan:

1. I have remembered to drink more water, pretty consistently. I could do better.

2. I am also very inconsistent on eating more fruits and vegetables. Yesterday I ate a big salad for lunch but that was it. Often I remember to eat at least one piece of fruit, sometimes two, and then some veggies with dinner. I could do better here.

3. I have not done well in the healthy snack department. Except for yogurt. I've been snacking on yogurt more, so that's good. But either I or my sons or my husband have been bringing lots of junk into the house and I have been helping to eat it! Bad, bad, bad!

4. I also keep completely forgetting to keep a record of what I am eating. I think I need to do it on my ipad instead of a litte notebook. I keep misplacing the notebook, whereas I am much more careful about the ipad.

5. Yesterday I was especially bad about the bread/sugar intake. Some days I am much better than others.

6. Exercising started off really well. I was doing this with Sean but since Sean has been getting tachycardia we've not been exercising as before. Today I'll try to do some yoga at least.

Housekeeping:

1. I haven't been able to be consistent on my grocery shopping. I don't know how things keep coming up. So then I tend to do stop gap shopping which isn't good. I did go this weekend and I planned out every meal until Thursday. So I'm going to try to stick to that.

2. Oops. Need to do a load of dish towels right now. So I need to work on this one too.

3. Last night wasn't so good kitchen-wise, BUT I have been better at keeping the kitchen clean. Also, I think I am getting rid of my 2x a month cleaners and I am just going to try to do things myself (for the whole house). For one, I tend to rely on the cleaners too much and yet I don't want them to come more frequently because I find them so disruptive. So the house is often just neglected. I think if I had to take more responsibility for it I'd: 1) get off my duff more and, you know, do things! and 2) I could get into better habits about keeping house. I came up with a plan that I think could be workable.

4. I haven't been consistent but we have done this ten minute tidy up much more frequently than before, so things are better, but need improvement.

5. Ack. I haven't done anything on helping the kids form better habits. I'm too busy not forming them myself! LOL.

Being a better mom

1. I have been getting better at getting the kids up earlier and more consistently. Again, still needs improvement. I realize one of the problems is that I am out of the house three mornings a week. I'm out with Becky on Monday mornings, so I have no control over Sean and Josh then. I am out with Sean on Thursday mornings so no control over Becky and Josh. And then again on Sunday mornings I am out of the house with Sean again and no control. So that's really part of the problem. Next year, if Sean isn't going to the Manassas Schola Alta, I'll have more control again in that regard.

2. I think I could be more regular with the read alouds, but to be fair, because Hannah and Will are here, our schedules have been thrown off a lot. They'll both be gone this weekend (boo hoo!) so things should settle down and become more consistent then.

3. Haven't done the date thing yet.

4. I've been trying a bit here, but again not consistently.

5. I have been praying for and with them!

Be a better wife

1. I think I've failed in the no snapping resolution. Though I am apologetic afterwards. LOL. Does that help???

2. I have been trying to do little things here and there but not as often as I could.

3. We went out for dinner last weekend. It was nice. We mostly talked about Sean. But I find my husband's presence relaxing. A glass of wine and my Rick sitting across the table from me is always pleasant to me.

Be a better human:

1. I have been trying to pray the morning office. I've been pretty good.

2. I'm off to a rocky start with Read 52, but if I focus this week, I should have two books read by Sunday.

3. I'm trying on the calendar.

4. I'm having great fun working on Schola Alta stuff.

So I am trying, I'm not consistent but better on some of these things. Other things have really yet to take off. A couple took off but then crashed! I think if I keep checking back with myself, I'll be more aware of what's going on and hopefully that will help in perseverance.

1 comment:

  1. Faith, I am so with you in needing a reset of new year's resolutions. Just one example: I have a goal of having a zero inbox (with pre-2013 messages put in a different folder), and I havent' done it once!

    Just FYI, I use a free App called "Tap & Track" and it's a great way to keep track of eating. They have tons of restaurant and supermarket brands, as well as the ability to create your own recipes. I don't use it all the time, but I love having it to hand and using it anywhere. It syncs between devices, as well, so you can have it on an iPad and an iPhone.

    ReplyDelete